Chapter Fourteen

Rach

I am in trouble.

These four words kept running through my hopelessly tangled mind as I walked out of the washroom and wiped my hands to the napkin on the dining table; scratching the back of my neck lightly. Zayn was seated on the sofa as he entertained himself with some reality show on the television, probably Martin. We had just pushed the dinner down our food pipes, since we were ever hungry and now, it was just getting awkward between the two of us. As usual.

I mean, it was always hot for me around him, but this time, it was just reaching supernova. It was a possibility that I would get evaporated any minute soon.

But this wasn't supposed to happen at all, I told myself. I mean, Pops was the one to be blamed for all of this blunder. She was having a happy date with her dream-guy and I was here, burning hot because of a guy I loved so much, and he had absolutely no idea that I even existed! Well, let's not exaggerate… But yeah, he didn't even know that I loved him so much! Besides, I had an absolutely futile head which kept on forcing me to do some hopeless actions which had no use... Like Thinking.

I took the plates from the table and walked into the kitchen and started washing them one by one. I couldn't ask Zayn to help me. He was a star you know, and such kind of things; They don't suit him. He's better off with microphone rather than some sticky dish wash liquid. But a part of me still wanted him to be with me in the kitchen and help me with the dishes and play with some foam. Like we always did when we were younger when either my mum or his appointed us to do the dishes after family gatherings. But a greater part of me didn't want that to happen. If I had to stay cold and alive, I had to stay away from him.

I was lost in thoughts again. Yeah, that's just like me. I'm always lost in thoughts once I get a chance. It's more or less like a fish in water. You know, a fish can't stay without water.. Similarly, my brain can't stay without thinking. However hopeless the topic might be!

I was recapitulating that one moment when Zayn was having his spaghetti. The way his lips sipped in the noodle-string and he licked the bottom of his lower lip to wipe the excess sauce that was dripping out of there, well it was killer. He chewed it with utter care, and just then, he had smiled at me out of nowhere.. probably since I was staring at him like a.. crackpot.

I looked at the big heap of dishes before me and sighed. Tonight was gonna be long, I told myself. I'm better off with these dishes, then thinking about Zayn.

Suddenly, a pair of hands wrapped around my waist. I swear, I must've jumped a mile away, since the very next moment, I heard him chuckle in my ears. The same, serene voice sending an involuntary shiver down my spine, his hot tickling the nerves at the back of my neck.

"You scared me, Zayn!" I shouted, half irritated and half paralyzed. I rolled my eyes at him and continued with my super-filthy dishes.

"Don't worry, I'm here just so you’re not scared," He spoke lightly, still holding me around the waist and resting his chin upon my shoulder.

"Whatever!" I said, lifting up my glove-covered hand to push back the strand of hair that fell over my cheeks and irritated the hell out of me. But unfortunately, the strand turned out to be stubborn since it never stayed back.

I felt Zayn's hand reach towards it and push it behind my ears. I turned my head a bit to look at him.

Great, another stupid move on my side!

Zayn's face happened to be just an inch apart from mine, as his breath filtered through my nostrils and my heart leaped a bit, I found his face twitch into a cunning yet sweet smile.