Chapter 14

Warning:
This next few chapters are filled with spoilers from 11x22, 11x23 part 1 and 2, and the finale. Read at your own risk.

People complain about being alone, but not Meredith Grey. My best friend, is someone who I'm always there for. Or at least try anyways. She likes being independent, because that's the type of person she is. When she's faced with a situation, she blocks everyone out. That's why we get along so well, because we learned with all the obstacles God throws us, that we will always be together. Even if it's not together.
-

"Hello?" I say groggily into the receiver, checking the time. I hear heavy breathing on the other side of the call.

"Auntie Bay?" Zola whispers into the phone as I look to Jackson's side of the bed, seeing him no where in sight.

"Zola? Sweetie, are you okay? Where's mommy?" I ask her as she sniffles. I stand up out of bed, walking through the apartment. It's dark outside, why was Zola calling me this time of night?

"My daddy.. He's- Auntie Bay, I want to go home. Can you come here please?" She asks as I hear her cry. I start to get worried as I run my hand on my baby bump. I grab my car keys after throwing on sweats and Jackson's flannel.

"Okay Zola, I'm on my way. Where are you and Bailey?" I ask as I walk out of my apartment.
-
"Jackson, something's going on with Derek. I need to be there for her." I snap as I hear him sigh loudly into the car receiver.

"Jamie, it's 3 AM. You must be exhausted, this isn't good for you! You're five months into the pregnancy, the OB said you shouldn't even be driving." He says as I pull into a hospital parking lot.

"Jackson, I love you, but I need to do this. She's my best friend, she was there when you were hurt. It's my turn for her. I'll call you when I'm headed home, okay? Bye." I say as I turn off the car. I lean my head back, praying everything is okay.

Once I'm out of the car, I walk into the front of a small hospital. I look to my left to see a young girl with her mom, I gulp as I walk up to the front desk.

"Hi, do you know where I can find the room for Derek Shepherd?" I ask the nurse as she looks at me, raising an eyebrow. My hair is in a messy bun, while I'm wearing different slippers.

"Are you related to him?" She asks me as I shake my head, biting my lip. "Then I'm sorry, only family members are allowed in the ICU." She snaps as I look at her, with rage in my eyes.

"Look, I'm not afraid to kick your snotty as- Auntie Bay?" I get caught off from yelling as I hear Zola call out my name, tugging at the flannel I'm wearing.

"Oh sweetie, where's your mom?" I ask her as she drags me away from the nurses station, towards a seating area.

"She told me to wait right here with Bailey, she walked down that hallway." She lifts up her tiny finger, pointing it down the mysterious hallway. I nod my head as I see a nurse walking by.

"Excuse me, will you wait with my kids as I go to the restroom? This baby thinks my Blatter is a squeeze toy." I laugh as the nurse nods, sitting down next to Zola. I stand up, and quickly see Meredith in Derek's room. I look at her as I see a tear fall from her eye.

"Derek.." She whispers as I walk into the room. I try remaining quiet, as she lets a couple more tears fall. Meredith never cries.