Chapter 09

“Enough!”  I grabbed onto Bibu and pulled her out of the sand.  Gaara was frozen.

“Thank you Hachi.”  She said as she licked the last bit of sand off of her fur. 

“Go home, I’ll be there later.”  Bibu wobbled out of the room.  I looked back at Gaara.  The sand was going back into his gourd.  “I’ll walk you home Gaara.”  I said as I put my hand on his shoulder.  He leaned most of his weight on my shoulder. 

***

All of the contestants were lined up.  Naruto was late, but he finally got there.  Sasuke wasn't there either.  The new person that guided the Chunin Exams held up a chart.  Dosu wasn't on it anymore.

*“This was unexpected, do you not sleep?”  Dosu asked as the wind blew his sleeves.

“What do you want?”  Gaara asked as he glared down at Dosu.

“I was thinking of defeating you right here, right now.  Then, I’ll have a higher possibility of facing Sasuke-kun.  I know of your sand attacks.  Which do you think is faster, your sand or my sound?”  He asked as he rolled up his sleeve.  Gaara narrowed his eyes.

“I’ll protect you Hachi.”  Gaara said under his breath.  “When there is a full moon, ‘his’ blood gets excited.”  Gaara said as he stood up.  A wall of sand appeared around me, blocking my view. 

“What are you?!!”  Dosu asked and then the sound of the roof breaking made me jump.  Someone was panting, but it wasn’t right next to me, it was farther away.

“Gaara, is that you?”  I whispered out.  The panting grew louder as the unknown figure approached me.  The sand fell away, revealing Gaara.  I hugged him tightly.  “Don’t do that to me ever again!”  Gaara stopped panting and sighed lightly.*

I shuddered lightly at the memory.  The contestants were starting to walk over to the platform that I was on.  Naruto won his match, but just barely.  He started to run around while blowing kisses at the crowd.  With a groan, I appeared in front of him and grabbed him by his ear before disappeared with him and then reappearing on the balcony type structure where the contests waited and watched the matches.    

"You idiot, people want to get on with the matches."  I let go of his ear.  He started to rub his now red ear.  The crowd started to yell out as they waited for Sasuke.  They went on to the next battle, but Kankuro withdrew.  Once that battle was canceled, it was Shikamaru's match.  Shikamaru lost his match, but he didn't seem to care.  I walked over to Temari.

"Good job."  I gave her a high five.  She blushed lightly.  "Oh, please don't tell me that you have a crush on him."  The thought of them together didn’t clash like I had been expecting it to.    

"Hey, wake up."  Temari said as she waved her hand in front of my face. 

"Yeah?"  I looked at her blankly.  The crowd was beginning to get pissed off.  "Where's Sasuke?"  I turned to Gaara. 

"He will come, I am sure of it."  Gaara said as he looked down at the floor.  I appeared in the arena next to the now pacing Naruto.

"Calm down Naruto, do you think that Sasuke is stupid enough not to come, wait, don't answer that."  His pacing stopped.  "Let me say it this way.  We both know that Sasuke is to bull headed not to come!"  I pointed at the doors. 

"About the final match, time is up, so Sasuke is-"  Leaves started to fall.  When I glanced behind myself, I noticed that a whirlwind was starting to form.  A wall of water surrounded me, stopping the wind from hitting me.