Chapter Twenty:

"Hey! Aka-chan! Wake up! It's Christmas!" 

Akane's eyes flew open. For some reason, her mattress was creaking, tilting, and quivering like crazy. "Wha----what's going on? Earthquake?"

"Huh? What're talking about, Aka-chan? There's no earthquake." A head suddenly popped into view, right in her face. It took her a few minutes to recognize Honey-senpai.

"Huh? Honey-senpai? That was you?"

Honey-senpai pouted. "I dunno. All I did was this." And with that, he began jumping up and down on her mattress, giggling with glee.

Akane sighed in exasperation, letting out a breath she had been holding. "So, you were going on about Christmas? Wait----- I don't believe it! For a second, I completely forgot all about it! Wait outside, senpai. I'm getting dressed. Be out in a minute!"

She grabbed Honey-senpai by the shoulders and ushered him out of her room, before yanking open her closet and changing out of her pajamas. She quickly yanked a brush through her hair, then grabbed her toothbrush and toothpaste and making a beeline for the bathroom.

Christmas. She thought as she rinsed her mouth of toothpaste. Probably one of my favorite times of the year. And the day my real parents left me at the orphanage to wait for my new family. That's right. Her real parents had dropped her off at the orphanage after arranging the whole adoption with the Hayashiis. She had lived there for a few weeks, until the Hayashiis arrived to pick her up.

Geez, I feel nostalgic. I'm really getting soft, aren't I?

-

-

-

"Yay! Presents time!" Honey cheered. "I'll go first. My present for everyone is------cake!"

"Well, whoopee!" Hikaru said.

"We never would've guessed that." Kaoru added sarcastically, earning an elbow from Haruhi.

One by one, the Hosts exchanged gifts, until it was finally Akane's turn. She felt a little self conscious as she passed out her paper wrapped bundles, one for each Host.

"You can open them now, or you can wait." She said awkwardly.

Tamaki, Honey, and the twins immediately tore off the paper, while Haruhi carefully peeled off the wrapping. Mori and Kyoya studied their own gifts for a moment, then began peeling away the tape. Their faces lit up as they saw her present.

"They're scarves." Akane explained, blushing. "I got them so that they'd be the same color as your roses, as well as with your initials embroidered on it. It's not much, but-------"

Haruhi smiled, gently running a hand over the red fabric of her scarf, tracing a finger over her initials. "I think they're great. Thanks so much, Akane! But you got one for yourself, right?"

Akane looked away sheepishly. "Um, well, I don't have a rose-- not that I mind or anything!" She added hurriedly. "But yeah, I could use a new scarf, so I just got a plain light brown one."

Haruhi sighed. "Now you're making the rest of us feel bad for accepting your presents."

Akane opened her mouth to say something, when something exploded behind her, and she yelped in surprise, leaping to her feet and spinning around. "Wha---what was that?!"

She was met by Hikaru and Kaoru grinning brightly, each twin holding a small party popper in his hands. Small confetti strings hung from the poppers, which had just been popped open.