Chapter Fourteen: Miki Kiru

Akane was getting ready to jump out the window again when Haruhi walked in.

"You know, Akane, there're easier ways to get down to the courtyard than just jumping out the window. Besides, you could get hurt."

Akane shrugged. "It's convenient, this way. What did you want to talk about?"

"Talk about?"

"Well, if you didn't want to talk, then why did you come in here?"

Haruhi sat down on the bed. "You're too straightforward. You see obvious things, but not the hidden ones."

Akane frowned, stepping away from the window. "What're you getting at?"

"You're beating yourself down too much. I can see the dark shadows under your eyes, and you're restless with stress. Any particular reason why?"

Akane gently fingered the Katonozuka pendant around her neck. "No. Just the usual flute and piano performances."

Haruhi smiled, sighing. "You know, I was a lot like you when I first came here. I was worried about a lot of things and had a lot on my mind, but I hid it behind a stony face. I was ignorant, and saw things for what they appeared to be, not what they truly were."

Akane cocked her head. "And?"

"My point is, I locked myself away from the world. I never really cared about much except for schoolwork. The Hosts changed that. I've become more open, and I have more friends. That can be you, too, Akane."

Akane turned back to the window. "I know that. And I'm fine with it, as long as I don't hurt anyone. So until then----"

She leapt out the window, landing softly on the balls of her feet before sprinting into the maze of rose bushes in the courtyard, disappearing amongst the walls of thorny green and blood red blossoms.

Akane turned around multiple corners, losing herself in the maze. She really wanted friends, she really did. But what would happen if Waru found out and used them for information on her wherabouts? They'd be hurt, and it'd be her own fault. It was better if she was just nice to them, keeping them close but at a safe distance.

Akane skidded around the corner and collapsed under the roses, breathing hard. Suddenly, she became aware of soft sobbing sounds coming from nearby. Who was there? She stood back on her feet, creeping through the maze, following the sound.

She turned around a corner, and came face to face with a young girl, maybe in middle school. Her reddish brown hair hung in a dark curtain, veiling her face.

"What's wrong?" Akane asked.

The girl jumped in shock, her head shooting up. Her blue eyes were filled with tears, and she had a red slap mark on her cheek. She looked at Akane in terror.

"I---I'm sorry, sir! I didn't mean to disturb you, I promise!"

Akane frowned. Sir? Then she remembered. Right now, she was supposed to be Alain Roussel, in her boyish clothes and short light brown hair. Her sore throat had deepened her voice, so she sounded like a boy as well.

"Who are you? What happened?" Akane asked.

The girl took a shaky breath, still trembling in fear. "I'm Miki Anda. I'm twelve, and I go to the public middle school." She broke down in tears again.

Akane sighed, her heart softening a little. "Come. Let's get you cleaned up a little." She took the girl by the shoulders and slowly lead her back out of the maze.

"Who's this, Aka---I mean, Alain?" Tamaki asked. The twins glanced up in curiousity.

Akane gently pushed the girl forward. "Guys, meet Miki. I found her lost in the maze. I have a feeling that she's got quite a story to tell." She nodded at Miki. "Go on."