Chapter Eight: Fever

The following Monday at school, Akane never felt so strange. Suddenly, it seemed as though her world had opened up to unimaginble proportions since she found out she was the final descendant of the Katonozukas. She touched her throat, and felt the golden disk resting against her skin, hidden by the collar of her uniform. Mori had been against wearing the necklace, but the others had convinced him to let her wear it. After all, it was the only thing she had from her real parents.

Suddenly, she turned around the corner and almost ran right into Jun, who had his arm linked with another girl.

His face turned bright red. "Oh, Akane! This is, um---"

Akane blinked, the smiled. "Hey, she's your new girlfriend, right? Then that's great! I mean, it's about time you've found yourself a girl."

"So, you're not mad?"

"Of course not. Why should I be? I'm happy for you, Jun. Take care of her!" Akane called over her shoulder, before hurrying off to the Host Club.

As she pushed through the door, all eyes focused on her. It felt rather weird and relaxing to have your closest friends know your biggest secret, and to know that they'll support you. Akane smiled. "Hey! Sorry I'm late."

Kyoya tapped away on his laptop. "It's no problem. Today's been rather quiet. How has your day been?"

Though it seemed as a perfectly innocent question, it had a hidden meaning. Kyoya really meant Has anything suspicious happened? As in the Katonozukas and the mysterious threat.

"It's been great. Did you know, Jun's gotten himself a girlfriend."

The twins blinked. "He has?"

"Ooh!" Honey squealed. "Who is it?"

"I dunno. Some girl." Akane suddenly felt Kyoya's gaze on her. "Is something wrong, senpai?"

"It's nothing. Are you sure you're okay with Jun being with another girl?"

Akane frowned. "Why wouldn't I be? I mean, we weren't exactly 'together'."

"That's true, I guess." Kyoya turned back to his laptop. "But there's something you, Honey-senpai, and Mori-senpai might want to take a look at."

"Hmm?" Mori muttered. The three of them gathered around Kyoya, who tapped a few keys.

He pointed with the computer mouse. "See, there have been reports of attacks on several martial arts dojos by a group of Japanese yakuza, or mafia, if you will. There haven't been any reported deaths, though many were injured and hospitalized."

Akane frowned. "So they're looking for me?"

Mori shook his head. "No. They're looking for a teenager who can use the Katonozuka technique. As long as you keep your head down, you'll be okay."

Akane clenched her fists angrily. "Those bastards, attacking dojos like that. Mori-senpai, I'll make you a deal."

"Hmm?"

"I'll keep my head down, but if those guys ever come here, you'll let me fight them. Please."

Mori looked thoughtful, his dark eyes impassive. Finally, he sighed. "Fine, then. Deal."

Yakuza POV

The gang leader drummed his fingers on the table, a bottle of wine in front of him. He glanced over into the mirror on the wall, and his own scarred face looked back at him. He touched a particularly large scar on his left eyebrow, a souvenier from an encounter with the Katonozukas a little over a decade ago.