Chapter Four: A Halloween Dance

Akane sighed, changing back into her usual street clothes in the changing rooms. Today had been exhausting. Honestly, she never thought that she'd receive six requests for the exact same song over and over again!

She untied the red ribbons that held her ponytail together, letting her hair fall down her back. "Much better." She nodded, satisfied. Jeans and a long-sleeved shirt suited her much better, in her opinion. She pushed aside the curtains and walked out, nearly smashing right into Kyoya.

"Oh, sorry senpai." She apologized. 

Kyoya looked her up and down. "Is that your usual attire?"

Akane scowled. "Don't sound so haughty. Not everyone can afford to wear designers everywhere."

He chuckled. "No, I didn't mean it like that. It suits you, rather. Well, good day." He walked away.

"What's his problem?" Akane grumbled under her breath, heading out the doors of the music room.

To her shock, she was met by a swarm of girls and guys alike, all squabling.

"Have you heard?" A girl asked urgently.

"Heard what?"

"The Host club's throwing a Halloween dance this year! It's gonna be in two weeks!"

"Aieee!"

"And guess who'll be playing at the party?"

"Who?"

"I know! The classical music club!"

"Nope! It's Akane Hayashi, that girl who plays the piano and flute at the Host club!"

Akane let her hair fall in a dark curtain to hide her face, doing her best to remain unseen. What was up? A Halloween dance? And she was gonna be playing there? She clenched her fists before storming back into the music room, slamming the door shut behind her, then sucking in all the air her lungs could handle, before letting it all loose.

"KYOYA OOTORI!!!" She hollered at the top of her lungs.

Kyoya came around the corner. "Yes? You don't have to yell, you know."

Akane ignored him. "What is with you Hosts? Why didn't you tell me about this Halloween dance?"

"Well, it was supposed to be a surprise. And by the way, you'll be performing there, too."

"I found that out ten seconds ago when a girl practically screamed it in my face. Why didn't you tell me?!"

"Is there a problem with not telling you?"

"Yes! Quit hiding things from me!"

"What if I was supposed to hide them fron you?"

"Argh! That's not the point."

"Then what is?"

"It's---" Her face crumpled, the anger and annoyance inside her dissipated. "Nevermind. Just tell me about these things earlier on."

"Is something the matter?"

"No, it's no big deal. See ya." Akane sighed, then turned around again and left.

Akane sat down beside the fountain in the courtyard, letting the wind blow through her hair, until it became a tangled mess. Griping angrily, she tugged her fingers through the stubborn knots without much success.

"Um, hi, Akane." A voice behind her mumbled.

"Hmm?" She turned, and found herself face to face with a boy, maybe in the year above her. He was good-looking, though he seemed terrified at the fact that he was talking to her. "Oh, hello." she replied.