[pt.22] The Supposedly Leader of The Demon Army

Part 22

THE SUPPOSEDLY LEADER OF THE DEMON ARMY

[Lunalea POV]

The first question that came into my mind when I saw Lady Gabriel was: ‘Why is she here, accompanying Lord Mikael?’ She had clearly shown her resentment towards me, so it would make more sense if she tried to prevent Lord Mikael coming down here to see me instead of accompanying him. But then again..perhaps she wasn’t doing this voluntarily. And it’s not like Lord Mikael could be prevented from doing anything once he had set his mind into it.

Needless to say, Lady Gabriel wasn’t pleased with what she had to witness. Even in the poor light I still could see her frowning and scowling. I was embarassed and felt guilty at the same time; after all, I knew what she felt about Lord Mikael. I swiftly took one step away from my husband, but he held me to his side securely, seemingly having no intention to let me go. I wiggled to make a bow for Lady Gabriel, “My Lady.” I greeted her politely.

Lady Gabriel scoffed. “I’m surprised you still remember your manner.”

“Enough, Gabriel.” Said Lord Mikael firmly.

I felt uneasy when they started glaring daggers at each other. But then Lady Gabriel surrendered, “Fine. I’m sorry for being such a bitch.” She pronounced. But it’s easy to tell that she didn’t mean it. I didn’t mind at all, because I knew she’s too proud to ask for forgiveness. “Now come on let’s get out; I don’t want to run into more demons.”

Lord Mikael simply nodded, then he turned to me. “Are you hurt anywhere? Can you walk?”

“I’m fine, I can walk..”

“Alright then. Let’s go. Stay close to me.”

“My Lord.., there’s something—” I started, but he interrupted by placing his index finger upon my lips.

“Save your explanation for later.”

“But—“

Lord Mikael silenced me by his gaze that went straight into my eyes. His expression was serious and grim. “I know what you are. Raphael told me.” He said slowly, caressing the side of my face. I tensed despite his soothing touch. ‘So he knows…now what..? Does he hate me now? Is he planning to eliminate me once we get out of here?’ Worries and fear infiltrated my mind. Lord Mikael seemed to sense my anxiety, and he smiled assuringly,“But that doesn’t change the fact that I love you, Lunalea..”

I blinked and looked at him in disbelief. The look on his face and the tone of his voice were undeniable. He meant every word he uttered. I opened my mouth to say something, but couldn’t find anything appropriate to reflect my feelings so I shut it close again. Did he know that his words meant everything to me? For him to accept me for who I was, to love me nonetheless...it’s more than I could ask from him.

“Don’t worry, we’ll figure out a way to fix you, okay? Just remember that you have me..from now on you can tell me everything.” He whispered in my ear, making streams of tears taint my cheeks again. Lord Mikael kissed my eyes one after another. “Alright. Come on.”

I nodded and squeezed his hand gently. Then on we moved. Lady Gabriel walked briskly up front, bow and arrow ready in her grip. Either she was eager to leave this place or she didn’t want to be anywhere near me and Lord Mikael. Perhaps both. Lord Mikael held my hand tightly with his left hand, while his right hand was wrapped securely around the hilt of his broad sword. We moved swiftly yet cautiously.

After a while we stumbled upon a messy heap of demons’ carcasses. I nearly shrieked in horror before Lord Mikael yanked me closer to him, blocking my vision from the horrifying view. “Easy, they’re dead. We’ve made sure of it.” He told me, hinting that those demons were the victims of his and Lady Gabriel’s combat expertise.