[pt.8] The Severe Headache

Part 8

Mikael died in the battlefield and Lunalea became a widow…

Nah, just kidding..I’m not that cruel; Mikael won’t die….yet =p

***

[Lunalea POV]

Shotly after Lord Mikael left, I fell asleep and had that strange dream again. The cold lava, the darkness, and the whisper..They were more vivid than before. When I woke up I suffered from a massive headache; the pain was excruciating. I drank the most effective potion I knew to cure a headache, but it’s no use. The headache tortured me the whole day, rendering me unable to concentrate on my job.

That night I thought I could have a dreamless sleep because I was very tired. But it turned out I was wrong. The dream came again. And this time I could make out what the whisper had been calling me: Zeva.

The name sounded strangely familiar—somewhere, a long time ago, I’d heard that name. but I didn’t remember.

In the morning, the headache struck; it’s like someone was constantly drilling your skull. And in the night, the strange dream made my sleep restless. This combo made me exhausted and extremely weak. I missed Lord Mikael so much, if only he were here, he would help me get through this.

By the fourth day, I turned to Lord Raphael.

“Come in.” answered the melodic voice when I knocked on Lord Raphael’s door. I stepped inside his working chamber. Lord Raphael turned from his desk and frowned when he looked at my face; the sign of weariness must be apparent.

I made a bow before saying, “Forgive me for bothering you, My Lord..but I have a favor to ask from you..”

“Don’t be so formal to me, Lunalea.” Replied Lord Raphael, flashing a gentle smile, “What do you need?”

I told him about my headache, and that I was wondering if he had something to cure it. Lord Raphael looked deeply concerned. “May I?” he gestured at my hand. I nodded and let him took my wrist to check my pulse. “It’s weak. Do you sleep well?” he asked me.

“I’m afraid no, My Lord..” I answered wearily. I wanted to tell him about the dream, but on the second thought, it would be wiser if I didn’t.

“You said the regular headache potion didn’t work?” he asked again. I just nodded. Lord Raphael let go of my wrist, got up from his chair and walked over to a cabinet full of bottles and vials. He stood scanning for a moment before taking a transparent vial with a yellowish red liquid inside. He gave it to me. “Try this.” He told me.

I nodded and said thank you.

“One more thing before you go, Lunalea.” Lord Raphael tapped my shoulder lightly; he looked thoughtful. “I need your blood sample. To be tested.”

I raised my eyebrows, obviously curious. “May I know what kind of test, My Lord?”

“No.” he answered shortly and firmly, almost rather harsh, which was quite a shock to me. Lord Raphael noticed this, and he quickly added, “But I will inform you about the result once I’ve done with the test.” Then he smiled assuringly. I was too weak to argue, so I just conformed to his request.

After I was back in my chamber, sitting on my bed, I examined the vial Lord Raphael gave me. A part of me was doubtful, not sure that this potion would work. But another part of me trusted Lord Raphael; He was my saviour after all..

I opened the vial and drank the content in one gulp. The liquid felt cool and tasted bitter, a bit like rust. I coughed. I didn’t felt anything yet—my head still pounding—, so I decided to go to sleep at once. I laid down and sighed.

Zeva.

Suddenly that name appeared in my mind. Was it my name before I lost my memory? I never questioned my past before this because I was afraid. Afraid of a part of me I didn’t know. But now..I thought perhaps I should find out the truth, perhaps I should face the ghost of my past..

I began to doze. And I fell asleep into yet another strange dream. This dream turned into a nightmare; I was back amongst the burned carcasses, alone and confused. I kneeled down and buried my face onto my hands. It was sticky and smelled putrid. Why was it sticky? I took my hands away from my face and was horrified to find them drenched in blood. I screamed and tried to get up, but I got tripped on something: a human body, covered in blood, lying on the ground, and facing downward. I felt my heart stop beating when I noticed the fiery red hair…No, No..it couldn’t be..

But it could.

I turned the body upward, only to confirm my suspicion. It was Lord Mikael.

‘Bang! Bang! Bang!’ a fierce knocking on my door woke me. I sat up instantly, and the first thing I noticed was the headache. It’s gone! The potion worked! I was elated. But then came the fierce knocking again. Seriously, whoever it was outside must be determined to knock the door down. I rushed to open it before the door really colapsed.

“Yes?”

In front of me stood a maid who looked only a few years older than me, and really aggravated. “Pack your belongings, Lady. You’re moving.” She said to me crossly. Why was she angry? I didn’t even know her..

“What? Where?” I asked her, confused. But then I noticed the crimson band on her maid uniform. Comprehension dawned. She’s a maid from Lord Mikael palace; I was to move there.

***

Sorry this part is short..and no Mikael POV..it’s also a bit dark. Just bear with me okay..

Many thanks for your comment and vote [you know who you are ;)] Words cannot describe how grateful I am..And thanks for reading of course!!