[pt.13] The Findings

Part 13

[Mikael POV]

After my ‘small’ talk with Raphael, I was really aggravated and I felt the need to see Lunalea. She’s the one who could soothe my anger, the one who could calm me, so I went straight to the infirmary. To my dismay, she wasn’t there. I headed to my chamber; perhaps she didn’t feel well and wanted to rest for today—I remembered her pale face this morning. But she wasn’t in my chamber either.

I stood and pondered for a moment. Could she possibly be back to her chamber in Raphael’s palace? I didn’t like the idea, but yes, it’s possible. It’s possible that she had left something behind when she was rushed to move to my palace last night. Without delay I went to Lunalea’s chamber, only to be disappointed once more—it’s empty. Where the hell was she?? My patience was running low.

I went back to the infirmary and began to interrogate everyone there. No one seemed to know my wife’s whereabouts. Should I dispatch a search party??

Feeling mentally tired, I sat down on a chair in Lunalea’s working chamber and pressed my left palm against my temple. I could actually ask Raphael for help—that guy knew about magic and was surely able to do a tracking spell, but I genuinely disliked that idea. I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of ‘I told you so’ or some sort. I had already told him that Lunalea was my responsibility.

The other person who knew about magic was someone that almost everyone avoided: Lord Uriel. Yes, even I addressed him with ‘Lord’. He’s already a great general when I first came to this castle, and even a long way back before that. They said he never aged. On a very few occasions I met him, I believed I could confirm that. He looked like a twenty-year-old man with a creepy and mysterious aura. Even if I asked for his assistance, I wasn’t sure he would deliberately lend his hand. But I had to try nevertheless.

Minutes later, I found myself walking towards Lord Uriel’s palace in the northern side of the castle. The palace was actually deserted; he didn’t have any maid, he didn’t even have any soldier. Human soldier, I meant. When going into a battle, which was also in a very rare occasion, Lord Uriel would summoned an undead army. This army would sweep clean anyone in their way, enemies and allies alike—that’s why he hardly ever go into a battle. Lord Uriel’s underlings were like a double-edged sword, it would hurt its master when not wisely used. I had witnessed this army just once, from afar, and they were indeed very terrifying.

Lord Uriel resided in a chamber at the top of the highest tower, which could only be accessed through his palace. As I walked through the unguarded gate, I noticed the ruins of a wooden door to my right; I didn’t even bother to wonder why and how. My aim was the spiral staircase leading to the top of the tower.

I walked up the stairs briskly, thinking about ways to make Lord Uriel couldn’t decline my request. I almost bumped into someone who’s decending the stairs. A slender hand pressed against my left shoulder, a familiar sweet and calm voice saying “My Lord..”

“Lunalea!” I beamed, feeling glad and surprised at the same time. Instinctively, I pulled her delicate body into my arms. I pressed my face against the top of her head, basking in her sweet scent.

“My Lord…I..I can’t breathe..” she whimpered after a few moments.

“Oh..sorry.” I released her. Still gripping her upper arms, I took a good look at my wife. I was right; she was pale sick. I was about to ask her was she was doing in this place when I noticed the front of her dress that was ripped. In an instant I was furious again. “Did Lord Uriel do this to you?!” I roared. I didn’t care he had an undead army; if he dared laying a finger upon my wife, it’s his funeral!