[pt.11] The Horrible Joke

Part 11

[Mikael POV]

The morning came, bringing sunlight into my chamber and forcing my eyes to open. I sat up and strained my arms’ muscles. I felt incredibly good. Then I realized that Lunalea was no longer at my side. I scanned the chamber but found no sight of her. Where’s she, I wondered..

I got out of the bed and found that some clothes had been prepared on the table, along with a basin full of water and a clean cloth. I cleaned myself as best as I could, but I thought I was doing a lousy job. As I was getting dressed, Lunalea entered the room. She brought breakfast on a tray. I was relieved to see her.

“Good morning, My Lord.” She greeted me, giving one of her lovely smiles. She looked as gorgeous as always, wearing a white dress with blue stripes—the uniform of a healer—and a dark blue shawl that matched the color of her eyes. Her long black hair was braided loosely. “Did you sleep well, My Lord?” Lunalea asked me as she put the tray down on the table.

“Yes, thanks to you..” I remarked affectionately. She smiled shyly. ‘I’ll never get tired of that smile’ I thought to myself.

Then Lunalea walked up to me and murmured, “excuse me, My Lord.” before she straightened up my neckline. I bent down and kissed her rosy cheek. I semiled when her eyes widened and her cheek blushed pink; she’s very adorable.

“What do you bring for breakfast?” I asked her, though I could see some bread and cheese on the tray. I had already sat down when she answered: “uhm..there’s some bread, cheese, and corn soup…the cook told me you like corn soup..” there’s a hint of anxiety in her voice. I noticed a bowl full of creamy yellow liquid; it smelled nice. I picked up a spoon placed next to it and scooped the soup. Lunalea looked at me in anticipation when I ate the soup.

“Hm..the cook’s soup doesn’t usually taste like this..” I commented. Lunalea went a bit pale.

“Forgive me, My Lord…” she said quietly, “the cook didn’t make that…I did.”

My eyes widened in surprise. “You made this!” I exclaimed. Now she looked a bit panic; I bet she misinterpreted my reaction.

“If you don’t like it, I—“

“No!” I cut short, “I like it!” I ate another spoonfull, “This is delicious.” She looked relief upon hearing this. I smiled. “I should have married you sooner.” I said. And once again she blushed.

“I’m glad you find it to your liking, My Lord..”

“Sit here and eat with me.” I said, pulling her wrist down. She obeyed. We ate breakfast in silence. I found myself unable to stop staring at her, and she would glance up at me now and then, looked a bit shy and was not sure what to talk or to do. This was a new experience for me, and for her too, judging from her behaviors.

After the breakfast, I told Lunalea that I would see Raphael and told him about us. She looked a bit tensed. “Should I go with you?” she offered.

“No need. Our marriage and your moving here are my decisions. I will explain it to Raphael. And if he disagree..well, there’s nothing he can do about it anyway.” I said, wicked grin on my face. Lunalea looked alarmed. “Don’t worry, my love..” I took her chin and lifted it up, “I promise I’ll try my best to avoid any clash with your chief.” Then I bent down to press my lips against hers.

[Lunalea POV]

While Lord Mikael went to see Lord Raphael in his working chamber, I headed for the infirmary. I couldn’t stop thinking about this morning’s incident. I was absolutely terrified when I found out about the poisoned soup, terrified of the possibility that I was the one who put the poison in it. Did I just try to poison my own husband? Why would I do that? I discarded the soup at once, but seeing the cook had already been busy preparing the breakfast for the dining hall, I made the new one myself—fortunately Lord Mikael liked the soup I made. But still..the fact that I had lost time and had a vial of deadly posion in my hand without knowing it really troubled me.