[pt.21] The Demons' Lair

Part 21

THE DEMONS’ LAIR

[Mikael POV]

We were racing with time, because we didn’t know how much longer we had to retrieve Lunalea from the underworld before the undead army launched the strike. I knew not what made Lord Uriel agreed to release his deadly legion, but it didn’t matter now.

“Can we go faster?!” I was practically shouting at Kieran to beat the sound of the howling wind.

“Forgive me, My Lord, but this is as far as it can get!” Kieran shouted back, without meaning to be rude.

I grunted and said no more after that.

After a while, Kieran announced: “We are approaching the Adair Woods!” and I looked down to catch a glimpse of the tips of the trees, but there’s not much to see from up here because the clouds were blocking my view. Kieran tried to sound calm, but I could pick up the wave of anxiety in his voice. I remembered what he said earlier: ‘I don’t know whether or not it’ll work..’

Then it seemed we breached some kind of invisible barrier. The dragon seemed to be pushed back a little, but it persisted on moving forward. I saw ripples of black electricity, just like the one I saw dancing around the arm of the bulky demon I fought the previous morning. The electricity attacked us, but was deflected before it could touch us. Perhaps the dragon had some kind of built-in defensive ward—I heard that some magical creatures had. The question was, would it last?

As if sensing my concern, Kieran glanced at me and exclaimed, “Do not worry, My Lord! The dragon says he can handle this demon magic!”

Oh that’s a relief. Though I was curious how a beastmaster and a magical creature could communicate. Was it telepathy?

I didn’t ponder for long, because a moment later the dragon made a very sharp descent. I tightened my grip on the dragon’s rough scales. My innards seemed to be sucked upwards and got stuck in my throat. I kept my mouth closed tightly in order to prevent me from spilling my guts. I looked down and saw the earth’s getting closer. My head was spinning wildly.

Just when I thought we’re going to crash, the dragon slowed his descent and managed to perform a quite graceful landing in an opening. After he folded his wings, I quickly slid down, longing to put my feet on the firm ground. Gabriel stumbled after me. Her face was pale white and she swallowed hard, trying hard not to vomit. No wonder she’s been unnaturally quiet during the journey. This was the first time I saw her totally screwed up; her expression said it all. Kieran on the other hand, looked really relaxed, in fact almost pleased with himself. He smiled and appeared to be communicating with the dragon.

Gabriel and I took time to calm ourselves before finally observing the surroundings. To the south was the looming darkness of Adair Woods and to the north was the massive heap of Strangard Mountain. We were indeed in its valley. So now, where’s the so-called underworld gate?

“There.” Gabriel tapped my shoulder and gestured towards what seemed to be a black hole in the middle of grey rocks. The three of us cautiously approached it; in front of us was a a bronze gate with glowing red carving along its arch. Beyond that gate was nothing but darkness and silence.

“My Lord, My Lady.” Kieran drew our attention away from the gate. “I am afraid I can only escort you this far. I cannot leave the dragon alone outside, and obviously he cannot go in.” he explained, looking uneasy.

I nodded in comprehension. “You’ve done enough. Thank you. I don’t know how to repay you.”

“You do not have to, My Lord.” Kieran made a bow, “This is my duty.”