Ch 3: Begining the Hunt

Heyya, Watty readers.  Spent some time on this chapter and i know that it might sound stupid at the end, but just read!  I swear on Taylor Lautner's life that you will totally get what Raven's mission on Earth is, in the chapter 4.  So, read, enjoy, and if you wan to, comment/vote. Adios ;)

What’s the absolute best feeling in the world? Flying about 3,000 feet above everyone else in NYC and you feel absolute, utter bliss and thinking “this is what I want to do every day”.   My face broke into a huge smile that was fueled by the freedom I felt right now, practically dancing in the clouds.  Ahhh, the joy of free flying, the time were you feel so connected and peaceful with the world.  

The cool breeze swished my hair softly out of face, letting it fall on my back as I practiced some twists and spins that I learned from my friends Up Above.  It’s actually pretty hard trying to learn new ways to fly; on your back you have to keep your wings beating in rhythm.  It’s all about the rhythm, the number of time you flap your wings should be in synch to your breathing.  But man, I was just free flying, so all I cared about was the wind in my face and the adrenaline rush from being so high in the sky.  Could it possibly get any better than this?

As I took a big whiff of the fresh air, I noticed something odd; the air smelled tangy but sweet.  The area around me also seemed to get more compacted....as if someone was following me.

Quickly I turned on my back and looked behind me.  Yep, there was a huge object that was hurtling at me with enormous speed.  Well shit.  With my smile completely wiped off my face and my bliss gone, I flipped the right way again and tried hard not to panic.  So what if there was a huge flying thing that was behind me, it’s not like I don’t deal with bad guys on a daily basis?  Oh wait, I don’t.

Trying hard not to totally give away that I saw whoever was tailing me, I put on more speed and dove towards the glittering city lights below.  The wind seemed more vicious now and tore and whipped my hair back, smacking me in the eye a couple times and making my eyes tear up.  The air also seemed to get impossibly colder, as if someone forgot to close the door to the freezer, as my breath came out in white puffs.

But just when I thought I could almost read the city’s sign, something grabbed my ankle and threw me backwards.  Let me tell you; being thrown backwards with all your momentum going the opposite way is not fun, you spin around like some circus freak.

That was exactly what I was doing at the moment, trying to at least keep my wings steady as I tried to retain my balance.    But the guy who came after me (probably assassin) grabbed a hold of my right wing, making me flop around like a fish.

“What the hell!” I screamed at him.   That was totally unethical; you can’t just go yanking people’s wings! 

I glared at him, when I realized I couldn’t get away unless I cut off my own wing.  He in turn, smiled at me with a perfect row of white teeth.  Now that was weird, usually they sent old smelly guys after me.  My captor actually seemed around my age, he had short black hair, and from what I could tell, he was well built and tan.  He also had glorious white wings that seemed to shield him from anything and everything.   Of course; he wore a ski mask, so I really couldn’t see the rest of his face.

“Just sit tight, Raven, I just have to get you some place.”His voice was deep and sultry and totally and completely hot.

Damn you Raven! You can’t go, having the hots for your captor, its just not right!  I really couldn’t believe I thought this guy was hot; with his  black hair, and olive-skin tone.  He actually kind of looked like...Jagger; which just sent me into a whole different frenzy to get away.

“Let go of me you, bastard!” I tried kicking and squirming away from him to try to throw him off balance but his hold on my wing only tightened and I squealed a cry of protest.

“Rave, just settle down and we’ll be there in no time.”His breath tickled my neck as he still held on to me.

I stopped moving, almost out of my own control.  It felt like I was frozen to the spot.  I could breath but I couldn’t talk or move any limb.  Fear slowly enclosed me, who was this thing and why did he call me my nickname and how could he do this to me?

Mr. All-so Mighty, threw me over his shoulder like a sack of flour, and in one quick burst of his wings, he shot forward through the night sky with an almost indescribable amount of power.

I was blown away, quite literally; flapping around like a loose sail behind him with only his one calloused hand keeping me from being a big splat in the middle of NYC.  Let’s just say, I was in a pretty bad situation.

He surprisingly, passed by the main part of New York City and got to the outskirts of the city in no time at all; ducking and diving around huge buildings, and almost making me hit the side of an apartment building.  Either he was lousy at flying or he was just trying to piss me off.

 He finally slowed down and I looked below us; alleys ran on, acting more like streets than anything. In between the alleys were rows and rows of rundown buildings with a lone, dim, street lamp on the far corner. The other side of the street was a gas station that’s seen better days.  You could tell, even thought it was dark, that no one would come here unless dragged by a flying guy. (Yah that’s me)

He cautiously almost came to a complete stop, and swerved downward so we landed on the ground.  Well he landed; I just hung on his back.  Then, he just let go off me and I landed with a plop on my butt as his wings slowly retracted into his skin.

“What’s up with that, you asshole!” I yelled in protest.

“My name’s Luciano, pleasure to meet you Raven.”He looked at me with a half amused smile on his lips and held out his hand.

It was only then that I realized I could actually speak and move again.  Thank God.  I did not want to be stuck on his back the rest of the way. 

Luciano still held his hand out to me, since I was still lying on my butt.  I grumbled but took his hand anyway.  He pulled me up in one fluid motion and held onto my arm still, as he started walking to the gas station.

“So, -Luciano- did I say that right?  Why do you need me?” I asked, as I tried to keep up with his monstrous strides.

“It’s really not what I need, it’s what you need.”He replied in a low voice, that had a hint of an Italian accent.

Wait, Italian?  The only people who I know that have wings and can speak in almost fluid Italian were all the higher up people Up above.  Which means he somewhat of an angel, which always means trouble.

Not thinking twice, I twisted his arm that was holding me, back and flipped him over.  He gave a loud groan and rolled over to his side to try to get up. I sprinted in the opposite direction away from him, trying to gain some momentum so I could take off.  There was no way in hell, that he was going to take me back Up Above when all they were going to do was kill me.

“Raven, don’t do it!”Luciano called to me.

I jumped and spread my wings, waiting to feel the sweet freedom, when I was electrocuted right then and there.  I collapsed on the ground in an almost unmoving pile, with my wings still out.  What the hell was that?

  Everything hurt tremendously and my vision started to blur. I rolled over on my side, hugging myself when I thought that I was going to pass out, I heard voices in the background yelling.

I faintly made out a figure in the background, smoking and walking steadily over to me.  The man was middle-aged and knelt down beside me, with his cigar hanging out of his mouth and said. ““Non si impara mai, Raven” (You never learn Raven.)

I thankfully succumbed to the darkness moments later.