Ch 28: Here Comes the Boom

Here you go guys-enjoy.

-Kenna

I had always thought of myself as a proud person. And if my parents actually knew or cared about me they would have been “proud” to call me their daughter.

I knew how to take care of myself.  I knew how to avoid the worst and fight when it’s needed.  I absolutely, positively could handle whatever life had thrown me so far.  But this, this thing that Jagger could do to control me had turned my whole purpose into a tail spin.  My existence was heading for a crash landing.  And for the first time in almost years, I was scared of someone. 

Sure I had been scared about killing people or losing my angel “status”.  But this thing that Jagger could do, terrified me.  I was like a little kid again, unable to stop all the horrifying stuff and just sitting on the sidelines as my life flashed before my eyes.

 I hadn’t been that kid for a long time and I thought I had buried that kid and started to grow to be the person that I had wanted to be; independent, strong, and above all; able to kick-ass.  The fact that one of the few people I had trusted was able to get inside my head and screw around, made me furious and shaking mostly from fear.

It killed me that I couldn’t control this one thing that might be the death of me.

“Raven?”

Just like that-I was jerked out of my mini-melodramatic breakdown.

“Hmm, what?”I replied.

Luciano looked at me and then sent a sharp glance Ajax’s way, “We’re going to see Peter.”

“Umm Peter who?”I asked, completely lost.

“The Peter who can get the message to the old man.  The friend of mine we’ve been talking about for over an hour,” Luciano prodded.

Right.  We were still in Ajax’s “warm and friendly” home discussing our next course of actions.  Well Ajax and Luciano were probably discussing, I had most likely held a dazed expression for the last half an hour.

“So are we going now?”I needed time to digest to all that had happened to me in the last couple of hours.  Most importantly, I needed to rest to reassure myself that what had happened  was not some psyched out nightmare.

“Yeah, I was probably going to head over there.  Ajax offered to stay back with you,” Luciano recalled

I glanced at Ajax and he gave me a weak smile.

Screw everything that happened to me, I was not going to show another sign of weakness.  “I’m fine, how are we getting there,” I told Luc.

Half an hour later, we arrived at our rendezvous spot to meet this so-called Peter.  It wouldn’t have been my choice of a meeting place, but that’s just how classy I am.

I peered out of the black-tinted windows and stared disapprovingly at the trashy club we had arrived; “Darkest Desires.”The front of the building was run-down even the pink, neon, sign slanted just too much to the right.

The door to Ajax’s car opened and Luciano stood on the other side with his eyebrows raised.

“It’s tacky,” I told him matter-of-factly.

Luciano shrugged, “It is a good thing that some things never change.  Peter likes having his beer and women possess two qualities; cheap and easy. 

I almost chuckled at that...almost.

I stepped out of the car and Luciano shut the door behind me.  Ajax’s prized 1980s something-important-style car zoomed away.  Figures, even some low-time club had a valet service.