No Turning Back - A Vampire Diaries Fanfic 20

Last Chapter Charlie was killed by Klaus, what will happen next?

Hope you like where the story is going :D

Chapter 20

Mystic Falls, Winter Ball 1863

Charlotte and Damon were dancing at the Lockwood Winter Ball. The room looked amazing decorated with candles and many Christmas decorations.

The lace train of her lilac gown moved beautifully as she did. And her loose red curls gently framed her porcelain face. Damon looked handsome in black dress robes.

"I'm glad you're home, I worry when you're away at war," Charlotte said as she held her right hand up towards Damon's. They continued round in a circle, doing the same dance as every other couple.

He smiled at her. "You shouldn't worry; I will always come back to you." He leaned forward and gently kissed her cheek.

"Damon, we're in public," Charlotte said, trying to cover a giggle. "No touching, Mr Salvatore, those are the rules."

Damon laughed, lifting his left hand up as Charlotte did the same. "I guess that means later I may need to steal you away to my room," he smirked.

Charlotte just giggled as they went around in a circle again.

Damon then glanced to the far right corner of the large ballroom. Charlotte followed his gaze and her eyes stopped on Katherine. She wore a silk blue gown and her dark curls pinned up on her head. She was walking towards Damon and Charlotte with a huge grin on her pretty face.

She stopped in front of them. Charlotte instantly grabbed Damon's hand, holding it tightly in her own. She felt the need to protect him in front of Katherine... or to show Katherine that he belonged to her. Pearl had warned her that Katherine was trying to win Damon's affections; both Pearl and Annabelle had seen them together. And by 'win' Charlotte knew that meant compulsion.

"Look who's found her dancing feet," she laughed at Charlotte. She turned to Damon. "Hello, Mr Salvatore," she said in a fake sweet voice.

"Enjoying the party, Miss Katherine?" Damon asked with a small smile.

"No," she said pouting like a small child. "I have no one to dance with."

"Dance with my brother," Damon suggested.

"Stefan is busy mingling with your father's colleagues... Maybe you could give me one dance?" Katherine continued with a giggle.

"Sorry, Katherine, I'm here with Charlotte. She's my fiancée; I must be faithful to her." He looked at Charlotte and smiled.

Katherine nodded, putting on a fake smile and walked away.

Damon raised his hands as did Charlotte and they began their dance again. As they continued dancing, Damon looked over at Katherine several times.

Eventually Charlotte couldn't take it no more. "Stop it, Damon," she whispered, annoyed.

"What?" he asked innocently.

"Staring at Katherine."

"She's alone, I just feel sorry for her is all."

Charlotte stopped dancing and pulled him to one side. "Really? That's all? Because Pearl told me she saw you and Katherine together three nights this week."

"Don't start with this again. Don't you trust me?" he said, looking hurt. "Aren't I simply allowed to talk to another woman? Katherine just wants a friend. She's hurting, she's just lost her family in a fire; she said she feels comfortable talking with me. I was there for you when you were going through the same thing. I'm just being a good friend, nothing more. I love you, Charlotte." It was clear Katherine had compelled Damon to say these things.