Chapter 23: Surprise!

*Niall’s POV*

            I had been in Chicago for almost twenty-four hours now, and Violet still hadn’t contacted me. There was no way for me to locate her since I had no idea where she was, so I was pretty much a sitting duck as I waited for any results in the hotel room.

“Have you found anything yet?” Harry asked from the other line.

            He had just called me, and now we were discussing some ideas on how to locate her.

“No, she hasn’t even replied to my messages,” I sighed, “Wait, did the letter have a forwarding address on it?”

“Nah mate, we already checked and it was blank,” Harry told me.

            Well so much for that idea.

“I guess I’ll let you go man,” I said to him, “I need to rest a bit.”

“Alright, stay calm okay?” Harry told me.

“And when you come back make sure to have her with you!” Sage yelled from the background.

“I plan on it,” I said, “Well goodbye.”

            Just as I was about to walk into the bathroom there was a knock at my door. Who could that be? I walked over and opened it without even bothering to peak through the peephole.

“Violet?” I asked, stunned to see her standing there. But not only did her being there stun me; she had a kid with her and like three bags of luggage.

            I threw my arms around her and hugged her tight. The little boy whined, not liking getting squashed in the middle.  I pulled away an turned my attention down to him, raising an eyebrow in question?

“Niall, this is my brother Noah,” she introduced me to the little guy.

            Noah turned to face me, his eyes studying my face. He looked a lot like Violet, with the reddish brown hair and his brown eyes with purple tones. He was adorable. But I still wanted to know why he was with her.

“You came to Chicago to get him?” I asked, reaching forward to see of the kid wanted to let me hold him.

            He stared at my hands for a second, contemplating his choices. Finally he seemed to be like ‘what the heck’ and held his arms out so I could grab him. I pulled him into my arms and hugged him to me. He set his little head on my shoulder and watched Violet from there.

“Sort of,” she lugged in the bags and stepped inside the room, “I came to get answers, and Noah was just an added bonus.”

            I walked over to the sofa and sat him down on there, so I could help Violet with the bags. Strangely enough I wasn’t mad at her for leaving. I just wish she had warned me, so I wouldn’t have had to go nuts.

“So your dad let you take him for that night?” I asked as I set the last bag on the floor by the door.

            Violet stopped what she was doing, and straightened up to face me.

“Not quiet,” she bit her lip, “I was just given custody of him.”

“What?” I asked, thinking I hadn’t heard her right.

“As soon as I’m eighteen the papers I signed will state that I am his legal guardian,” she repeated, adding a bit more details this time.

            I glanced over at the little boy, who was sitting quietly on the couch, just watching us.