Food For Thought

P O V Ruby:-

I opened my eyes and groaned, a chill running through my body as my senses became aware of where I was.

I had hardly slept a wink all night, what with all the noises from outside the cave.

It was a pretty scary experience listening to the sounds of the jungle, what with the snorting and snuffling from the many animals that live on the Island.

One of them even tried to get inside the cave, during the early hours of the morning. It sounded very large, and angry. I think the cave was probably it's den, and it certainly wasn't pleased that I was there.

I had screamed and shouted at it, then grabbed one of the branches, hitting it against the other ones that blocked the door, trying to make as much noise as I could, which seemed to do the trick.

But that was it then, I was wide awake, too scared to go back to sleep.

I had crouched against the back wall of the cave, shaking with fear for hours, until the exhaustion took over me and I dozed off.

I hadn't been asleep long, probably about half an hour at the most.

I stretched my legs out, wincing with pain from the cramp that had formed through lack of movement, my muscles clenching tight in my calves.

I punched them hard, trying to soften the muscles, crying out as they pulsed violently under my fists.

Eventually they eased enough for me to sit up, the tears starting to well in my gritty eyes, spilled down my cheeks.

My whole body ached, especially my broken finger, that had throbbed

UN-relentlessly throughout the night, and still did.

My stomach growled angrily, the nausea of emptiness rising up in my throat, caused me to gag and heave violently.

I needed to sort some things out today, for one I needed food, not just coconuts, but something nourishing filled with protein and goodness.

I also needed a better place to sleep, If ….......God forbid I wasn't rescued today, and then there was some sort of s.o.s sign, I had to advertise somehow to let possible planes or boats that know that I was here.

I sighed, getting up stiffly. I had a busy day ahead of me.

I stepped out into the sunlight, blinking hard at the brightness, my eyes gradually getting used to the light.

The sun shone down on me, warming my chilled body, and I took a deep breath of clean fresh air.

I looked up at the sky, mesmerized for a few minutes, watching the gulls circle elegantly above me.

They soured around, making me feel dizzy with their speed, then one at a time they took a nose dive straight at the water.

I found myself holding my breath as they plunged into the turquoise seas, waiting until they rose back into the air, water droplets splashing around them, a fish in their beaks. I released my breath, relieved to know they were safe.