Not Through Want Of Trying

Ruby lay on the makeshift raft, as the waves pushed her closer to the shore. The anticipation of a possible rescue drummed through her excitedly.

She couldn't wait to get to solid ground and have something to eat and a long soak in a hot tub.

Her stomach growled as if in protest, causing her to smile in amusement at it's moaning. Not long now she thought as the wood floated into a sandbank and thumped to a standstill.

Ruby stepped off the raft, her legs giving away slightly as she did so.

Feeling a wave of dizziness she stood a moment, knee deep in the clear blue waters below her.

Her head spun wildly, more than likely from the lack of water she thought grimly as she swayed a little.

Then gradually, making her way slowly towards the shore, she grimaced at the pain from her sunburnt body, her limbs moving stiffly in protest of her skin trying to stretch beyond it's burnt limits.

She sighed loudly, gently licking her scabbed lips, then winced with pain as they split a little more, causing a drop of blood to drip down onto her chin.

What she wouldn't give for a long cool drink she thought as a tear slipped from the corner of her eye, and onto her cheek.

She sniffed hard, trying to compose herself, not wanting to confuse her brain with sorrow any more than it already felt.

After all, what good would it do her or any rescuer if she was to greet them hysterically?

“None what so ever” she sighed sadly.

Making her way to the top of the beach, she sat down under a palm tree exhausted and needing to rest a while.

She watched as the hot sun shone down onto the ocean, it's spreading shimmers of light danced skittishly across the blue waters.

It would have been so beautiful under different circumstance's she had thought as her eyes began to get heavy with sleep.

Ruby didn't want to sleep, she tried her hardest to stay awake, but the suns heat and the sea water she had drank earlier had completely drained her body of all energy.

Her eyes fluttered closed, releasing her body for a while from it's pains.

Bolting forward sharply, Ruby woke from her slumber.

Looking around alarmed, her heart sped up a little as she thought that she was still afloat at sea.

Relieved to find otherwise, she sank back shakily against the rough bark of the palm tree, and closed her eyes, waiting for her heart to steady.

After a while, feeling a little better, she opened her eyes then looked around.

She sat at the edge of a beach, the golden sand shimmering with light, as the sun bounced across the fine grains, reflecting them like tiny gems.

The sea, a turquoise blue sparkled invitingly with warmth and calm.

Ruby trembled at the thought of the sea looking inviting.