Page 11

I handed the baby to Hershel, not wanting to hurt the baby in any way. He began looking to see if the baby was healthy.

"What is it going to eat? Is it even healthy?" I rolled my eyes at Glenn.

"It's a baby! Not a it." I said, letting out some of my frustration.

"The good news is she looks healthy. But she needs formula and soon, or she won’t survive." Hershel being the only calm one, also informing us that the baby is a girl. Daryl stepped up.

“No. No way. Not her. We ain’t losing nobody else. I’m going for a run.” I volunteered to go, but got shot down by Daryl. He wanted to go on his own. I watched as Daryl went to talk to Beth for the first time I’ve been here. I listened, curiously.

“Kid just lost his mom. His dad ain’t doing so hot.” I stood there watching admiringly as Daryl  took charge of this group like he was born to do it. Giving everybody orders, except me. T-Dog and Glenn clearing the fence. Because if too many piled up, we’d have a big problem on our hands. Beth would take care of Carl. Hershel takes care of the baby. Maggie on watch, as well as opening and closing the gate for Daryl and hopefully me.

~

Daryl made his way into a place of the prison I had never been before. There were 3 cars and a motorcycle. I followed closely behind Daryl, arguing to go with him. He pulled out a poncho from the trunk of a car and got on his motorcycle. This was my last chance.

"Why can't I go with you? What if something happens?" If something happened to Daryl on this run I'd never forgive myself or anyone in this group for letting him go alone. Daryl sighed defeated.

"Here, take this," Daryl handed me a pistol. "Listen to me. Do not shoot unless you have to. Other than that use your knife. Now come on we're burning daylight." Concern showed in Daryls eyes. I ignored it as I payed attention to Daryl letting me go. I let out a big smile, then climbed onto the back of Daryl. Daryl went tense. Being careful not to hold too tight, not wanting to make Daryl anymore uncomfortable. I thanked Maggie as she opened and closed the gate for us.

"You ever been on a motorcycle before?" I nodded, even though he couldn't see me. He could probably feel it. I told him about how my old boyfriend had a motorcycle. It fell silent as I realized he's probably dead by now. Just like Lori...

"I had to cut the baby out." I blurted out. I have no idea why, but I had to tell him. I felt guilty. That maybe somehow, someway Lori could've lived as well as the unnamed baby.

"It's not your fault. Most of us knew it was going to be that way." His voice comforted me. I layed my head on Daryl's back. Not questioning if Daryl was okay with it or not. He tensed up again. Then relaxed slowly. I smiled to myself.

"I'm sorry about Carol." I told him wanting to return some comfort. Daryl didn't reply, but that was okay. Not much he could've said anyways.