Page 8

I breathed in and out in front of the door to outside. Not even thinking someone could open it and smack me right in the face. I tried to calm down as much I could. I had even started to rehearse some lines in my head like "Here's your food." or "Beth asked me to give this to you." Gosh, I'm acting like a highschool girl with a crush. Wait. What? Crush? Ha, I don't have a crush on anyone. I sighed and breathed out once more.

 The cool air hit my face as I opened the prison door. Great, so it was a chilly night. I saw Daryl's back, he seemed to be walking back and forth in front of the gate. Once he turned where I could see his face, he stopped. His eyes stared back at mine for awhile. He shook it off. Whatever it was.

 "Here," I extended my arm with his plate of food to him. "Beth fixed this plate for you." I said, not meeting Daryl's eyes. I felt Daryl's warm hand brush over mine and the plate disappear from my hand.

 "Thanks." Either his raspy voice sent shivers down my spine or it was just too cold out here. Maybe both. I wrapped my arms around myself trying to get warm.

 "You should probably go inside. It's getting really cold out." So Daryl didn't want me around annoying him or he was actually being sincere. I didn't have time to decide what, because the walkers smashed around the gate making a big rattling noise. I nearly jumped out of my skin. Daryl only jumped a little, then he leaned closer to me landing a hand on my upper arm. I swear it made my whole body heat up and calm my nerves.

 "It's alright. We're fine." His thumb ran up and down my arm. It felt so comforting. I nodded.

 "You'd think the weather would slow them down somehow." I said, watching the walkers gnaw on the fence trying to get to us.

 I debated whether or not to stay out here and talk to Daryl or just go inside and think about him. Honestly, I wouldn't mind doing either. Right now it was quiet between us. He looked up at the sky. Gosh, he looked so damn gorgeous. His arm was removed from my arm and planted on his side. The other holding his crossbow over his shoulder.

 Daryl shifted uncomfortably. I looked at him and his eyes were now watching the floor. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion at him even though he probably couldn't see me.

 "Um, did you- I mean," He sighed and shook his head. I fought my giggle, thinking it might offend him. "Would you like to keep me company tonight? I mean like- as I keep watch you know."

 "Of course, Daryl." I giggled out. I didn't even bother to fight the huge smile that broke out. Daryl returned me with a smirk.

~

 Daryl laughed as I exagerrated my march down the fence for the third time. I giggled. We had suprisingly been having a good time. We actually got finished with conversations without Daryl getting mad at me. I was so happy for that. The sun was going ot rise soon. Everyone had woke up and said there "Good mornings," to us. Daryl and I kept watch. I smiled. I could get used to this. 

 A high pitched scream echoed throughout the prison, then the alarm went off. I looked at Daryl and he nodded. I took my knife, still not having a gun yet, and Daryl got his crossbow ready. We made our way to our cell block to see Beth, Hershel, and Maggie had locked themseves in.

 "Where is everyone?" Daryl yelled at them. Beth and Maggie were too shooken up to answer. They had latched onto eachother. Beth crying softly into Maggie's arms. My guess was a walker had grabbed onto her and it was her scream we heard. 

 "Carol and TDog went down the hallway to the left of you. Rick and Glenn went to shut the alarm off. I'm not sure where Carl and Lori are." Oh, no. This can't be happening. I looked to Daryl.

 "You go find Tdog and Carol," I started knowing Carol and Daryl were quit close. "I'll go find Carl and Lori."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Author's Note: I have decided I will upload a new page every Monday! So see ya next Monday! ~ Amanda