Tryouts

"Come again?" Mark asked as we sat in homeroom. I had just told him I was trying out for soccer and he wasn't taking it lightly. For some reason I just couldn't meet his eyes so I just looked down at my hands. My hands seemed to have a mind of their own because they were fidgeting around without me knowing. 

"Um...yeah I'm trying out." I said awkwardly. I finally looked up at Mark. He had a confused expression, but at the same time happy. His lips had a slight curl but his eyes showed doubt. 

"Tori I'm really happy you're getting into soccer again, but tryouts? For the school? Not even that but for the GUYS team? Sounds suicidal," Mark said, "How did you get the idea anyways?" 

I wasn't sure how I would tell Mark. I'd have to make something up, or I could just ell him the truth. I settled on half truth, "Um...Cole Parris signed me up." 

Mark's mouth hung opened in complete shock and then he gave a nervous chuckle, "I'm sorry did you just say Cole Parris?" 

I nodded, "He saw my moves and recommend me to the coach." 

"How did he even see-" 

"Do you not think I can make the team?" I asked cutting him off. I didn't want to have to explain everything so I just shut him up by changing the subject. 

"What? No. I mean..." Mark shook his head as if trying to figure the wording, "I think you can make the team Tori. I'm just worried of what might happen. For all we know, they might try to do something. I just don't want you to get hurt." 

"Can you do me a favor?" I asked Mark softly. 

"Anything. You're my best friend." 

"Do you think you can make it to tryouts? It'd help knowing you're there." I glanced over at Mark who had a goofy grin. He nodded and I smiled at him. He was about to say something but the bell cut him off. We both got up and made our way to first period. 

Having Mark tell me he'd come to tryouts, boosted my confidence. He's seen me play, but that isn't the reason I wanted him to come. I wanted him there becasue I thought having my best friend in the crowd cheering me on would help. He seemed like the perfect person, he's always been at my side and I know he would make me feel better. 

"You do realize you have to tell Cali right?" Mark said with a smirk. 

"Oh boy," I muttered.

****************************

"So this is her?" I looked up to see a man that looked in his late thirties. He had black hair but the top of his head was slowly losing hair. He was thin and looked in shape. For some reason he looked like someone with a sense of humor but at the same time, in charge. He was wearing a blue workout jacket and some shorts. Instead of running shoes, he had cleats so they would grip the grass on the field. He had a whistle around his neck and clipboard in one hand. 

Cole gave me a shove and I stepped forward. School had just ended and now everyone was going home. Cole insisted on being the first here so I could talk to the coach. 

"I'm Tori Linean," I said introducing myself. 

The coach smiled and stuck out his hand, "Coach Walker. But you can just call me Coach." 

I shook his hand and made sure to make my grip firm. I didn't want to make the coach think I was a sissy. 

"Cole's told me you're impressive. Says that you bike to school everyday and that you play?" 

I nodded, "Yes sir. I consider biking a better work out than shifting from park to reverse." 

Coach laughed at my stupid joke, "Save energy too."