Chapter 14

Martina's POV

I woke up smiling, I mean who wouldn't knowing you had that sexy fuck sleeping next to you in bed, knowing that he loved you and only you.

I kissed Brian's forehead and climbed out of bed quietly, grabbing a coffee. Obviously someone was up, the pot was fresh. I headed out to the porch and Lana was sitting there, staring off into the distance, thinking.

"Hi." I said softly and she looked at me, I don't know she just didn't look herself.

We chatted a little bit then we both went quiet, her staring off into the distance, me watching her. She looked upset, sad and I couldn't help but wonder what was wrong.

Typical Lana, she blew off my question, I knew she would. Lana was always ready to help anyone with a problems but she dealt with hers alone and I really wished she didn't.

We decided to go for a swim and as I grabbed my stuff Brian woke up, looking at me.

"What are you doing?" He mumbled and I went over to him, kissing him softy.

"Going for a swim, now go back to sleep." And I was pretty sure he was asleep before I'd even finished the sentence.

Lana was sitting on the step waiting when I came back out and we headed for the lake in silence. Once again I found myself wishing that she would talk to me more, tell me what was bothering her, because she could deny it all she wanted, I knew something wasn't right with her.

The water was beautiful and we swam in silence. I attempted to engage Lana in conversation but she wasn't in the mood, she would just give me one word answers.

"Ugh." She eventually announced. "I'm starving."

I had to agree with her, I was starving. "Wanna go back and eat?" And she agreed.

We grabbed our towels and started the walk back to the cabin and I couldn't take it anymore, her silence and her face were killing me.

"Lana." I said grabbing her arm. "Please, talk to me."

"Marty." She told me. "Honestly, I am fine." And she put emphasis on the I am fine.

"Look Lana, you know what, you don't have to tell me what's bothering you but it's plain to see that something is." I stopped and looked at her. "You spend all of your time listening to all of our problems Lana, but let me ask, who listens to your problems?" She opened her mouth to reply but I cut her off. "I know you don't talk much, but Lana, I'm here for you, anytime, anytime you need to talk, I'm here. Okay?"

"Thanks Marty, honestly." She said, walking away, towards the cabin. "I appreciate it, honestly, but my problems are insignificant, little, tiny in the grand scheme of things, so I'll be okay." She stopped and looked at me. "I've always dealt with my own problems Marty and I'll keep doing the same thing, but thanks, really." And she hugged me before walking again.

I was a little shocked, a little shocked that Lana thought her problems were insignificant compared to everyone else's and that made me sad. What kind of friends had we been?

"Hey." Brian yelled, waving from the porch as we approached the cabin. "Here come a couple of good looking ladies." And Matt looked up and grinned, Lana snorted, mumbling something under her breath and I had to wonder what that was about.

Forget it, I told myself, she doesn't want to talk about it, I needed to get over it, she was a big girl, she could look after herself.

"How was the water?" Matt asked as we approached.

I waited for Lana to answer, only she didn't, she walked straight past the two guys and into the cabin.

"Um, nice." I said going to Brian and kissing him, seeing Matt's eye's follow Lana and frown.

"Is she okay?" He asked me and I internally cheered, someone else could see something was bothering her.

"Yep." I told him. "According to Lana she's just fine."

He opened his mouth to respond but Lana came back out, clutching her phone.

"So." Matt said to Lana, trying again. "How was the water?"

"Good." She said barely glancing at him and sitting down. She sat there and looked at phone.

"Waiting for Nick to call?" Matt asked her, in a mocking voice and I watched her face, I briefly saw a look of hurt pass over it.

I loved Brian, I really did, but he could obviously feel the tension so he decided to change the subject.

"So, best man huh?" He asked and I groaned. Out of all the things to ask he had to ask that???

"Yeah." Lana mumbled. "I'll look great in a fucking suit."

Brian looked at me and I shook my head, hoping he'd get the message.

"I said you could wear a dress." Matt snapped at her and she rolled her eye's at him.

Uh-oh. I didn't like the way they were glaring at each other.

"Fine." She said through stiff lips and I was hoping it was over, but no, Matt had to keep going with it.

"If it's that much of a problem I'll get someone else to do it."

"Yeah good, that'd be a good idea." Lana said, glaring at him.

"Aw now come on." Brian said, pulling a face at me. "Don't argue kids, no arguing today."

"I'm not arguing." Lana said, finally looking up from her phone. "Did you hear me argue?"

"No but you were being a smart ass." Matt said to her.

She stood up, glaring. "Fine, I won't be a smart ass, I won't say another fucking word." And she turned and walked back into the cabin and I guessed she went to the bedroom because I heard a door slam.

Matt's shoulders slumped and he looked down at his feet. "I just want her in my fucking wedding."

"I know." I said, trying to reassure him. "She'll be okay, she's just in a bit of a mood today."

"I didn't think it would be such a big problem." He said softly.

"It's okay." Brian said. "Just give her some time, one thing I've learnt from women is give them time, let them cool down." And he smiled at me.

"Nah fuck that." Matt said, opening the door. "She can talk to me now." And he walked inside after Lana.

"What the fuck is going on?" Brian asked me once we were alone.

I shrugged. "I don't know." I said as he pulled me into his arms. "But something is wrong with Lana and I'm beginning to think that problem is Matt."

I hated to admit that but it was the truth. Matt and Lana had been best friends for so long, and never, ever, had I seen them fight, they were always together, always supporting each other, but not now.

It made me sad, it really did.

Unfortunately I think Courtney was getting her own way.