Chapter 51

Matt's POV

I didn't know whether to laugh at Lana or feel sorry for her, she was really nervous about this dinner. I watched her do her hair, then decide on an outfit and honestly I didn't understand, she'd had dinner with my parents so many times, hell she used to sleep over when we were younger. I finally convinced her it was okay and that she looked fine. She looked beautiful to me, but maybe I was biased.

We arrived at Mom and Dad's and I was excited, excited to tell them about Lana, I thought they'd be surprised but happy about it, but when we arrived my mother started joking about me having a new girlfriend and as she went on I could see Lana literally sinking in her seat right before my eye's and I really just wanted my mom to shut up.

"So Matthew." Mom said. "Are you going to talk to Courtney?"

I looked at her and shook my head, watching as Lana stared down at her drink, shifting in her seat. "No Mom, I'm not."

"Well I considered inviting her for dinner tonight." She went on. "But I mean you said you were bringing your new girlfriend, if I had known you were bringing Lana I would have called her."

Fuck me, could she be any ruder. "Where's Dad?" I asked attempting to change the subject. I knew where he was, he wandered out to the back yard.

Mom shrugged. "I could still call her."

No she fucking couldn't. "Is something burning?" I asked. Nothing was burning but I really needed my Mom to shut up.

It worked, Mom jumped to her feet. "I hope not." She said. "Lana can you help?" And I watched Lana get up and follow her into the kitchen.

Great, Lana wouldn't even look at me and now I wished we didn't come over at all.

"Nothing's burning." Mom said looking at me and I shrugged. "But do me a favour Lana, can you take these out to Gary?" And she went to the fridge, getting out some steaks.

"Stay out there." I said to Lana as she headed for the back door. "I'll be out in a minute."

"Okay." She softly and I watched her walk out. She was so beautiful., I was so glad I'd realised it.

Fuck, my mother was singlehandedly ruining my relationship.

"I'm serious Matt." She said, grabbing a bowl. "You need to sort this mess out with Courtney."

"Mom stop." I snapped. I'd had enough, I really had. "Could you be any ruder."

"How am I being rude?" She snapped, putting the bowl down. "I'm just trying to sort this mess out."

"I don't want to sort it out." I told her. "How many times do I have to tell you."

"Yes yes." She grumbled going to the fridge. "So you keep telling me."

"Mom, please." I said. "You need to stop going on about Courtney."

"I liked her Matt, she was good for you, so tell me, please, why do I have to stop?" She asked, shutting the fridge and looking at me.

"First thing Mom, Courtney was not good for me." This was it, I was telling her, I'd had enough of her going on about Courtney. "So please tone down the Courtney talk Mom, please."

"I'm just trying to help you honey."

"Yeah well you're really not." I took a deep breath. "Remember what I told you about this dinner Mom, do you remember who I said I was bringing?"

She laughed. "Yes, you said you were bringing your new girlfriend, but you brought Lana."

I stood there and looked at her wondering if she would ever get it. "Yeah I did bring Lana."

She smiled at me nodding and I could not believe she was that stupid. I looked at her and shook my head, walking to the window and looking out, seeing my father standing at the grill and Lana, sitting in a chair, staring at nothing, but thinking, oh I knew she was thinking.

"Lana, Mom." I said turning back to look at her and I watched as her eye's grew wider.

"Lana." She said looking shocked. "Are you saying Lana is.........." And she let her voice trail off.

"Yeah Mom, that's what I'm trying to tell you."

She put her hand over her mouth. "Oh Matthew." She said softly. "Oh my god I'm so sorry, how insensitive of me, I said stuff about Courtney."

"I know." Fuck yes, she went on about Courtney more like it.

"Oh god Matt, oh, I need to apologise." She said heading for the back door.

"Mom please don't make a big deal out of it, Lana already feels uncomfortable."

"Lana." Mom said, facing me and putting her hand over her mouth. "Lana." And she giggled. My mother actually giggled.

"Yes Mom, me and Lana." I said smiling.

"Oh my god, I can't tell you how many times I've said to Helen how much easier life would be if Lana and you got married." She said, still giggling.

I was a little surprised that my Mom and Lana's Mom had discussed us like that. It seemed everyone thought Lana and I would be good, it was just a shame that I was the last person to realise it.

"Ease up on the marriage Mom, we just got together."

"Oh my gosh." She said and she went bursting out the backdoor. "Who's hungry?" She called, wearing a huge smile.

Lana glanced at us, looking away quickly and I silently cursed my mother for having a big mouth. I walked over behind her and leant down, kissing the top of her head and rolling my eye's at my Mom as she grinned stupidly at me.

I sat down next to her, sliding close. "Are you hungry?" I asked, looking at her.

She shrugged, moving her leg away from mine and staring at my Dad cooking. "A little."

"Lana." I said softly and I reached up, grabbing her face, making her look at me.

I didn't think she was actually going to look at me, but finally she dragged her eye's up and met mine. I smiled and moved my hand across her cheek and to the back of her neck, pulling her face close and kissing her softly.

"Now." I murmured. "Are you hungry?"

She smiled. "Yes." She whispered.

I kissed her again, trying not to laugh. I swear I heard my Father make a gasping noise and I knew I could hear my Mother jumping up and down on the spot.