Chapter 72

Lana's POV

I let myself into the house. Nobody was home, Matt was out playing golf with Zack, so I had the house to myself for most of the day. Good, that was good, it gave me the time to do what I had to do.

I threw my bag on the couch and headed into the kitchen to grab a drink. Was I trying to put it off? Maybe, but it was a warm day, I was thirsty, or so I'd keep telling myself.

I drained my glass and placed it on the sink. Did I want another drink? No, now I was avoiding it.

I went into the living room and grabbed what I needed out of my purse and headed into the bathroom. I closed the door and turned, looking at myself in the mirror. I moved my face from side to side. I didn't look any different. Was I sure? I didn't know, all I knew was that I was feeling a little weird, a little tired and my boobs were sore and when I counted back on my calendar, my last period was over six weeks ago. No I wasn't sure, but I was prepared to find out today.

I pulled the box out of it's paper bag and stood there reading it. I apparently had to pee on a stick and wait five minutes. I could do that, it seemed so easy.

I peed on the stick then placed it on the bathroom cabinet. I had to give it five minutes and if there were two lines when I came back, I was pregnant. Pregnant, fuck, I'd never even contemplated having children, it had never even crossed my mind, but here I was with a potential baby.

I went into the bedroom and started folding laundry, for those five minutes I wanted to pretend that life was normal. I started hanging Matt's clothes in the closet when my phone buzzed from the bathroom. I cursed myself for setting the alarm.

Well this is it, I thought taking a deep breath and walking into the bathroom. I stood at the door for a second, hesitating.

"Oh for fuck sake." I said out loud, walking over to the cabinet and picking up the stick.

Two lines. Positive. I was pregnant.

I walked back into the bedroom and sat on the bed. I wasn't upset, I was shocked. Like I said, I'd never given children a thought before, yet here I was.

I guessed I'd sit down with Matt, talk about it. He'd never mentioned children to me either, so I wasn't really sure how he felt, but we could talk about, discuss what we were going to do. It was his child too and I valued his input, he had a say as well. I really wasn't sure how he'd react but I was sure we'd sort it out.

But right now I needed to talk to someone and I picked up my phone.

"Mom, it's me." I said as soon as she answered.

"Lana honey, how are you?" She asked, sounding pleased to hear from me.

"Yeah I'm pretty good."

"When are you and Matt coming over?"

"Thursday night if you like." We were due for dinner at my parents.

"Excellent." She said. "So what have you been doing?"

I sighed. "Mom." I said quickly. "I'm pregnant."

She went silent.

"Please don't say a word." I added as an after thought.

"Of course not Lana." She said. "How do you feel about it?"

"I'm not sure mom." I told her. "We've never talked about kids, I mean I guess Matt and I have some thinking to do."

"Good Lana." She said. "You should discuss it, I mean it's life changing."

"Yeah I know." I said softly.

"If it helps." She added quickly. "I'm very happy for you."

I smiled, Mom would be happy, she'd make a great Nana and I knew my child would be spoilt rotten. "Thanks Mom, your support means a lot."

"Oh honey, of course you have support, no matter what you decide."

Suddenly the buzzer to the gate went off, interrupting our call.

"Mom someone's here, I have to go." I told her quickly.

"Okay, well call me tonight." And of course I would.

I hung up the phone and went to the intercom on the wall, pressing the speaker button.

"Yes." I said shortly. I wasn't expecting anyone.

"Lana it's me." And I groaned, I recognized the voice. "It's Courtney, can I have a word with you?"

"What do you want?" I snapped, life had been so peaceful without her around.

"Look Lana, I have something to tell you, something you need to know." She insisted.

"Fine." I snapped, pressing the buzzer and letting her in.

I walked to the front door and opened it. Courtney was walking up the driveway, she must have left her car on the street. I couldn't imagine what she wanted, I'd thought she had finely decided to leave us alone, but no such luck.

"How did you find out where we live?" I demanded as she walked up the steps, smiling at me.

She smiled at me, she actually had the hide to smile at me, and there was something in that smile, she looked smug.

"Look Lana, I'm not here to make small talk." She snapped, looking me up and down. "But I have something to tell you and you need to hear me out."

"What ever Courtney, just hurry up so you can get off of my property."

"Fine." She said. "So anyway Lana, you know how Matt's been going out every Tuesday?"

I nodded, I knew, he usually went to golf with Zack or caught up with Brian for a beer or 400.

"Well I don't know what he's telling you but he's been coming to see me." She added.

"What?"

What the fuck was she saying?

"Yes Lana, he's been spending that time with me." She went on. "We ran into each other a month or so ago and I don't know, we clicked again, and we've been spending that time rekindling our relationship."

Was she fucking serious? But I mean she was right, Matt did go out every Tuesday.

"Anyway that's not the reason I'm here." She said, glaring at me. "I'm sure Matt will tell you about us when he's ready. The real reason I'm here is to tell you I'm pregnant."

I reached out and grabbed onto the door frame.

"I'm having Matt's child Lana and once he finds out, once I tell him, well I guess the wedding will be back on." She turned to walk away then turned back around. "You should really thank me Lana, he's been making a fool out of you, at least now you know and you're prepared." And with that she turned and walked back down the drive.

I stood there, to shocked to move. Courtney was pregnant? With Matt's child? I wasn't sure if I believed it or not and now I was really confused.

Yes Matt had been going out regularly but I didn't think he'd been cheating. But maybe he had been, maybe he had been with Courtney. Fuck, what was going on?

 I stood there, I couldn't move. Matt and Courtney having a child, and dear god I was pregnant, I was fucking pregnant, what the fuck was I going to do?

I went and sat on the couch and I thought, I thought about what to do. It was simple, I would wait for Matt to tell me, I mean surely he would tell me, surely he would want to be with her, if she was having his baby he'd want to be with her?

As for my pregnancy, well that was something I would keep to myself. Until I knew what the hell was going on, I wasn't telling Matt, not at all.