Chapter 1: New Period

CALUM POV

Do you ever have that feeling after you've done something that's like "wow I really shouldn't have done that "? Well that was how I was feeling right now, sitting in my principal's dark office, uncomfortable perched on one of his old chairs, sitting across from him and my two, very angry parents. 

"Well do you have anything to say for yourself Mr. Blacklee?" Principal Simms asked me, breaking the silence. I sat blankly, until my father grew impatient, "Calum!" He ordered, and I gulped, I knew I was toast from the sound of his "angry voice". 

"I was trying to right a wrong." I peeped with a shrug. Principal Simms raised a grayed eyebrow at me, "And just how was pouring yellow paint all over Mrs. Misdo's car righting a wrong?" He asked sarcastically. "Well she said that my paper on how video games changed the world was immature and pedestrian, and proceeded to give me an F on my paper. I tried really hard and she was unfair because she's a boring old lady." I answered. 

"Calum!" My mother scolded me. 

"Well, you may think you were righting a wrong for all video game fanatics everywhere, but I, along with Mrs. Misdo, and I'm sure your parents, are not thrilled with your behavior. And because of this, you are hereby suspended for three weeks." Principal Simms informed us. 

After we headed out of the office, I waited for my parents to blow. Surprisingly the whole car ride home was quiet, but as soon as we entered the house, that's when the storm began. "Calum, why do you keep doing things like this?" My mother Yael asked exasperatedly. "I uh-" I started to answer when my father Red cut me off, "I know why Yael, it's because he is selfish and immature." My dad said angrily. "Red," My mother warned him softly. 

My dad rubbed his face warily. "Cal, I'm sorry I didn't mean that. I'm just so exhausted of this behavior from you. You're so smart Calum, you're better than this. You've gotten lost, and that is why I think we need to give you some way to get back to the boy you were. We've decided that you need to finish out the school year at a new school, down in DC with your Uncle Kent." He said. 

I was stunned, "Wwhat? You're sending me away? With Uncle Kent? Do you, do you guys not want me anymore?" I asked, feeling deflated. Mom walked closer to me and cupped my face, "Oh honey, that's not it at all. Of course we still want you, you're our son, we just are struggling. You are so different and we just don't know what else to do. We know you can be better, and we think your Uncle Kent can help you with that." She said softly. 

I ran my hand through my short black hair, "Okay, so when am I leaving?" I asked. 

My parents looked at each other, "Next week." 

---BREAK---

1 WEEK LATER

SCARLETT POV

"The Fledgling is moving, I repeat the Fledgling is moving." Kent said seriously into his microphone. I chuckled at the way he took the job so seriously. Just the simple task of me going to the dining room to eat breakfast required me to have security with me. 

I walked the long, white colored hallways of the house. Oil paintings of past presidents and ancient battle scenes filled the halls with some color. Finally we reached the dining hall, Kent stepped in front of me, opening the door slowly. I stepped in after him and my mother Lucy was already sitting, reading a newspaper. 

My mom's serviceman, Dino was also in the room. "Hey Dino." I greeted the man warmly. "Hey Scar, how you doing today?" He asked. "Good, and you? How are the kids?" I replied. He smiled at the mention of his kids. "I'm good and they're wonderful as always. Thanks for asking." He replied.

I grabbed the cereal box and poured myself a bowl. My mom set down her newspaper and took off her glasses. "Hon, we need to get going soon, we have a lunch to attend." My mother said. 

"But Mom, Tasha and I were gonna hang out today! It's the last day before school gets back." I protested. 

Mom shrugged, "Sorry hon, we all need to go to this." She said. 

I sighed and ran my hands through my blonde hair, quickly sending my best friend a text that I can't make it. 

I finished eating my cereal when Kent cleared his throat. "Mrs. Beaufork, I need to go pick up my nephew now." He said quietly. Mom nodded, "Okay, Kent we'll see you at the luncheon with your nephew, I can't wait to meet your nephew." She said. 

He nodded and headed out. 

After he left, I turned to my mom, "Nephew?" I asked. 

She nodded, "Yes his nephew Calum is going to be staying with him for a while. He's your age actually, and will be going to your school. You'll meet him today." She said, standing up, leaving me to go get dressed for the luncheon.

I had no idea how Calum was going to be, but I felt something exciting was coming.