Chapter 8

Chapter 8

“Rose? Are you okay?” I heard Riley ask me as she came in.

I turned around wiping my tears away and putting a big smile on my face. “Yeah, hun. Why?”

She grimaced. “I heard crying.”

I shook my head, still smiling. “It’s nothing.” 

I never let Riley see me unhappy because it unnerved her. I would never want her to feel like she isn’t safe. Even if she isn’t.

My cell phone vibrated and I took it out of my front pocket. “Hello?”

“Hey, sorry about running out of your house like that. I was just upset.” Shay said from the other side of the line. I could always tell when she felt guilty and now was one of those moments.

“It’s okay. It couldn’t have been easy.” I said, understanding.

“Do you want to go to the bar? I can pick you up. I want something to drink.” She said, sounding emotionally drained. 

I nodded. “Yeah. I need a drink too.”

“Okay. I’ll be on my way. Bye.”

I hung up the phone and picked Riley up, hugging her.

“I love you. You know that right?” I told her, smelling her strawberry-scented blond hair.

She giggled. “I know, Rose. You tell me that everyday!”

I smiled putting her down gently. “I just don’t want you to ever forget that.”

Mom walked into my room wearing black skinny jeans and a blue, collared shirt with her sleeves rolled up. She smiled at us while softly tucking a strand of her blond hair behind her ears. “Hey, girls. I was wondering if you guys wanted to go to the movies. I heard Colombiana was good.”

I frowned at her attitude. She always talked like she was still a twenty year old girl instead of a forty year old woman. “I don’t think Colombiana is such a good choice for a five year old to watch.”

“Oh Riley can take it! Cant you Riley?” She asked with a fake smile on her spray tanned face. 

I guess she decided to play the mom role today.

Riley frowned, already frightened. “Not really. Guns scare me.”

“But I really wanted to watch it.” Mom said, almost whining.

I rolled my eyes. “Just take her to watch an animated movie mom.”

She sighed and grabbed Riley’s hand guiding her out with her. “Fine.”

“Cant you come Rose?” Riley asked, almost pleading.

“I’m sorry Riley. I’m going out with Shay.” I couldn’t help but feel bad. Riley was looking at me with her big blue pleading eyes and gave me her signature ‘Feel bad for me’ look. Riley knew how to get what she wanted and she knew it. However, it didn’t work this time. Riley sighed and reluctantly left with mom.

A few minutes later, the door bell rang and I answered the door. Jay was there wearing a long sleeved gray shirt, long black jeans and sunglasses. 

I raised an eyebrow at the sunglasses. “Why are you wearing sunglasses? It’s cloudy outside.”

I let him inside and we walked towards the crowded garage. The garage was always filled with useless stuff that my parents never used yet could never find the nerve to throw out.