Chapter 12

Lizzy's POV

I hold my dads hand as we sit out in the waiting room. It's been an hour since they took her back for surgery. My dad has been freaking out, pacing back and fourth across the floor. Ivy finally calmed him down enough so he can sit beside me.

Phil took my siblings and Bently back home since they were complaining about being hungry, but I insisted on staying with my dad.

"You look too comfortable with this." I say. My dad directs his attention towards me.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you haven't cried yet. You're a very sensitive person. Has this happened to mum before?"

"I can't tell you right now Elizabeth." He sighs, looking back towards the ground.

"I heard something about a miscarriage this morning." I say.

"What do you mean?"

"I heard you, Phil, and mum talking about her having a miscarriage and that's why this is happening."

"Honey, me and your uncle adopted Sam when she was only 12. We had no experience taking care of a kid, and I wasn't even supposed to fall in love with her. I mean she was 12 and I was 10 years older than her. Anyway she went through a lot of things with us causing her to go to the hospital more times than a teenager should."

"Why?"

"Well the night she had you she got hit by a car. She got shot or stabbed a few years ago. I can't remember which it was actually."

"How did she get stabbed?"

"Can you leave it for a while?" He asks. "We promised to keep this stuff from you guys."

"Dad-"

"I said leave it! Don't tell your mother I told you anything about this."

"Mr. Howell?" I look to the left where the door to all the hospital rooms are. An Asian woman with black curly hair stands there in blue scrubs. "My name is Doctor Yang and I'm on the case of your wife. She is still in the middle of surgery. We are replacing the tissue from when she got stabbed a few years ago, then we will stitch her up."

"Oh thank you-"

"But this is hard, since your wife is pregnant."

Phil's POV

"What's happening to mum?" Justin asks.

"Don't worry about it." I sit on the couch.

"You're her brother. Shouldn't you be there?"

"Don't worry about it, Justin!" I snap. He's silent for a while, until he sits on the couch beside me. His brown curly hair is a tangled mess on top of his head, and his brown eyes are bloodshot, and have deep bags under them. "Have you been sleeping?"

"What?"

"Your eyes." I say.

"You're not answering my question."

"Okay, the thing is you're nine. You don't get it!" I stand up and walk to the staircase where my son is standing, looking down at me with disapproval.

"Dad-"

"Go to your room Bently." I say, shoving past him and going to my room.

Dan's POV
1 Day Later

I walk through the hospital doors alone. I go to the front desk, then ask about my wife.

Room 423.

I get to her room and see 6 people crowded around her bed, all in scrubs.

"Samantha Dawn Howell, 26 years old, admitted for pain in her abdomen. She was stabbed in her teenage years, then she had a miscarriage resulting in the stab wound to open up. She got admitted yesterday for emergency surgery because she opened the wound again from the result of being pregnant." The shorter guy speaks to the woman in darker blue scrubs than the rest.

"Thank you Doctor O'Malley." She says. Her attention turns towards me and smiles.

"Mr. Howell! My name is Doctor Montgomery and I'm going to be assisting your wife today with her pregnancy." She shakes my hand. Everyone walks out of the room except for Doctor Yang.

"I was pregnant too once." She speaks to Sam and I, then walks out, closing the door behind her.

"Dan." She says. Her voice is hoarse and her face is pale.

"I didn't know you were pregnant." I say.

"I didn't either." I go and sit on the end of her bed. "I love you."

"I love you too." She starts crying.

"I can't have another kid." She says. I lean over and hug her. She buries her head in my chest. "Mia is pregnant and now I am? Why is everything so stressful? It's supposed to be happy! I'm supposed to be happy!" She sobs.

"Shh. It will be fine. We can figure this all out."

"I just want to be 12 again!" She sobs.

"No you don't, it was worse when you were twelve-"

"My daughter is pregnant, Dan! She's going through what I went through!"

"It's not her fault."

"It wasn't my fault either. It never is." She pulls away from the hug. "God."

"Sam come on-"

"Don't fucking "come on" me! You're the one who got me pregnant when i was 12! It wasn't me!"

"Sam listen-"

"IT WASN'T ME!" She screams. Her heart monitor speeds up. "Get out of my room."

"No."

"GET OUT OF MY LIFE!" She screams.

I walk out of the room to see Lizzy standing at the door, tears in her eyes.

"What are you doing here?"

"I followed you." She says, then runs away.

Lizzy's POV (remember the italics is in her little journal thing.)

Today I followed my dad to the hospital to visit mum. I heard her tell him to get out of her life forever. Is that just a side effect of the medicine?

My parents have always had problems but not like this. I can't imagine being a child with only one parent.

I haven't told anyone today. Should I? I remember yesterday we were all in bed together laughing and watching parks and rec. Now my mom is pregnant with her 5th child?

Only me and my dad know. We came home last night and secluded ourselves in our own rooms. I don't think this stuff is good for the younger kids. I don't think this stuff is good for me.

Yay I made a longer chapter! Sorry I've been busy because I'm playing ukulele and stuff and I've been going through things at school.