Chapter 20

I sat alone in my room staring at my mess of clothes. I hadn't made much effort in keeping my room clean because I knew it would annoy Linda. I hated to admit it but she had a valid point I did not own anything that could possibly impress Trent's parents. I looked under my bed where I had stuffed all Irene's old hand me downs that Linda had given me when I first arrived in her house of horrors. Tulle...

I sighed loudly and glanced at the clock. I needed to leave soon. I begrudgingly pulled on a pair of jeans then put on a paisley top that had once belonged to Irene. Since I wasn't happy with my outfit I put extra care into my make-up. It was time for me to go.

I met Trent at the property line that seperated both our houses.

"Hey Lovely!" He smiled.

"Hi" I said nervously before he took my hand and led me inside.

"Oh so this is the child of Rob's affair!" Trent's mother exclaimed. "You have been the talk of the neighborhood. But barely anyone has gotten so much as a glance at her. Although I'm not surprised if I was Linda I'd keep something like that inside too."

"Oh this is her. It's obvious isn't it too pretty to be a child of Linda's" Trent's dad added looking me over.

"Hello I'm Lizzie." I said trying to hide how horrified their reaction to me made me feel.

"I'm Clint Erie, I own Erie industries as I'm sure you know. We manufacture packing peanuts. A very important business we run too." His father said superiorly sticking out his hand.

"I'm Mallory Marlow-Erie, President of the local garden club as well as head of the Quincy Private School PTO." She said pompously sticking out her hand for me to shake.

"Lovely meeting you..." I said shaking her hand briefly.

"Come along in the dinning room I'm sure you like lobster." Clint Erie said leading the way.

Oh ick! I thought. Lobster!

"Please sit down." Mallory said gesturing to the chairs before calling to the cook in the kitchen. "Hester please began serving."

Once we were sitting the interrogation questions started. Along with weird reactions to my answers.

"So Lizzie what does your stepfather do for work?"

"So Lizzie you said you grew up in Springville, which part of town did you live in?"

"Oh are houses there big or little?"

"Oh so little then. Hmmm..."

"What was your mother's maiden name?"

"Your stepfather took your mother's last name. How modern. Oh so then what is your stepfather's maiden name?"

"Oh the sameone's who at the cousins of the Chesterfield's? No then he isn't from the family I though he was from."

"Your mother worked outside the home? Such modern values they hold."

"How do you feel knowing your mother slept with a married man?"

I thought it was never going to end until his mother finally halted it with. "Your have barely touched your lobster isn't it to your liking?"

"Umm I'm sure it's great but I don't really like lobster much." I said shyly.

"Ah yes we should have known she isn't used to expensive food." His father replied.

"At least we had the common sense not to waste the caviar." His mother added.

After dealing with all this rudeness I couldn't help but notice who was silent. Trent sat there not saying a word.

Dinner soon ended and I left and Trent barely even said good bye. Once I got up to my room I sat down and cried since I realized I didn't belong here. Trent and I from two different worlds. My one silver lining was now another storm cloud itself. I vowed then i would not have anything else to do with him from that point forward.

I laid down a went to bed with my only comforting thought being Courtney was fighting to bring me home.

Then next morning I had no desire to get out of bed. I could see through my window It was dreary and gray and rainy out which just added to my mood. So just laid there and stared at the ceiling.

Trent's POV

After dinner I was shocked at my parent's rudeness but didn't know what to say. I was so embarrassed I didn't even know what to say to Lizzie. After dinner I spent a long time composing a note which by the time I finished and climbed to her window she was already asleep. I stuck it to her window and climbed down. The next morning the note was gone but she didn't call me like I asked. I laid down on my bed and thought I must have really screwed up.