Chapter 2

We arrived at the house of my "father" right around the time the sun came up. He called his wife before so she would be able to prepare. His house was big and beautiful which i should have probably expected since he did work for an important company but my fear was so strong I wasted time on speculations. He parked his car on the the driveway and lead me towards the front door without a word.

"Linda?" He called out as I followed him down a hallway.

There I saw her his wife. She was standing in the kitchen working on breakfast stirring something on the granite surface of her island. The rest of the kitchen looked relatively pristine with dark wood cabinets and granite surfaces. It took a few seconds for her to glance up. But when she did she met me with a smile that didn't seem to light up her face. The reason for that I couldn't tell if it was botox or displeasure.

"You must be Elisabeth." She said softly. "How nice to put a face to the name. Although you look exactly how I imagined. Just like your mother."

I looked towards my "father" for the first real time to analyze her observation for myself to find that she was right. I had none of his dark feature his greying hair showed to actually have been brown while I was a blond. His eyes were far too dark to have matched mine. Everything about me was far to fair to look anything like him.

"Rob dear, why don't you go rest up. You still have a few hours before the family brunch and you have been driving all night." Linda smiled at him. When he opened his mouth to object she added. "Oh don't worry about her. I'm quite capable of showing her to her room." As she dismissed him with a wave of her hand.

He turned and walked out without a word. By the time you could here his feet creaking up the stairs her expression changed. "Where are your suitcases?" She demanded.

I honestly hadn't thought of that. I didn't have any of my stuff with me. "I didn't get to grab anything after the accident" I stated truthfully.

"Oh your mother and step-father probably assumed we'll just go buy you a brand new wardrobe" She snapped.

"No... my mother is in a coma and my FATHER IS DEAD! I stated back coldly emphasizing the word father.

"Well we can't have you walking around looking like that." She said disapprovingly. "I think I have some old things of Irene's in the attic. You can squeeze the oranges for the juice while your waiting." As she turned and left the room.

I had not a choice I walked to the juicer and turned the crank to squeeze the oranges. I yawned and checked my watch for the time. It was 7 am and I had been up all night. Linda returned a few minutes later with a box.

"See if anything in here fits you." She said thrusting it at me.

"Where am I staying?" I asked picking up the box.

"Follow me." She said walking towards the stairs.

Once up there I noticed many doors all closed. She opened one and turned on the light. I stepped inside after her.

"There is a closet there and a private bathroom there. The family brunch starts at 9 don't be late." She said as she walked out.

The room was a small one with a single bed and simple white furniture. The walls where a very mild yellow. I dumped out the contains of the box she had handed me to find a bunch of frilly clothes. Which sort of showed Irene was a bit of a princess. I looked everything over trying find a good meet your secret family for the first time outfit. I settled for a pair of black dress pants and was planning on wearing a simple button down top but I popped a button so quickly changed into a dark purple sweater. Irene's old clothes were a bit small and even the sweater was seam stretching across the chest. I then walked into the bathroom to check my hair and removed some of my tear streaked mascara from around my eyes. It was going to be along summer. Finally about five minutes before 9 I headed back down stairs. As I walked in I saw the four of them staring back at me.

"Ah Elisabeth." My father said meet your new family. "This here is Irene." He pointed to skinny girl who had her brown hair tied up in a bun, she had a small frame like I had predicted. "This is you brother Nick." He gestured to a jock looking teenage boy with frosted tips in his hair.

"So your the love child?" Irene asked looking bored.

"I guess so." I shrugged.

"So I guess it's wrong I think your hot?" Nick said giving me the once over.

"Nick!" Linda gasped in horror.

"Chill! I have a girlfriend." He said.

"Is Kyle coming?" Linda asked Irene.

"Yeah really where the hell is my fiance? He said he would be here." She whined.

"Well I think it's time to get started on brunch." My "father" said after a minute.