Chapter 22

--- 22 ---

*Arianna Lancaster*

I felt as if I’ve started to breathe again. Seeing his face filled a lost light inside me. I hugged Junior as soon as I got in the car.

“Whoa, Ari. Lemme breath will you?” he chuckled as I pulled away, launching a punch on his chest. “Ow! Watch it—”

“So you remembered I exist!?” I frowned.

“Of course I remember you existed.” He grinned. “How can anybody forget a sister like you?” he buttered smiling widely; dimples dig deep in the cheeks.

“What took you so long?” my frown disappeared as his face color turned into light pink and he looked away. I let out a whistle suppressing a laugh. “Wow, am I missing something?”

He just grinned and started driving. For the time we had lunch, he beat about the bush every time I tired asking about anything. I was sure something was fishy, only that he wasn’t telling me. He failed all my attempts to inquire about his past weeks routine by saying, ‘Just wait a bit or it wouldn’t be fun.

We drove around the City for long, recalling our last vacations we’d spent together here when I was twelve. Things had changed, drastically. That time I was a kid, all I worried about was getting lost in the huge alien place and missing all the fun and today, I was married. Suddenly I felt so grown up, like I’ve skipped many years of my life…

“Ice cream or cotton candy?” Junior startled me. Evening was almost drowning and we had stopped for a walk in the park where, once we had played hide and seek.

“Ice cream.”

After we set off again for the third round of walk, I started, unable to keep my curiosity inside me. “Alright, let me get this right.” I licked the strawberry cone. “You spent the last whole week hanging around with Louisia that you forgot I was living here too and now you’re going back tomorrow?” he nodded, licking his ice cream. “Is Louisia going with you?”

By the looks on his face I somewhat knew what he’d say. “Uh, she wanted me to show her around there… ” He smiled and turned a bit pink. “So how are things with Chase?”

I had been avoiding this for long “alright. Fine.” I said casually not looking at him and then added. “Brandon’s here.”

“Why?” he almost choked.

Why? Isn’t it obvious? For me.”

His brows furred together. “But why? Weren’t you two over?”

I turned around sharply; my ice cream fell on the ground but I ignored it. “Over? Who said we were over?”

“Ari! You’re telling me you didn’t end things with him?” his eyes went wide. He dropped his ice cream in the bin and turned to me. “But he told me he would break up that’s why I let him say goodbye to you!”

“No, he didn’t. In fact…” I added casually because there was nothing to hide from Junior. “…we’ll move back once Chase and I sign the papers.”

“What papers?” he sounded like his breath was lost.

I bit my quivering lip and spoke quickly. “Divorce papers.” I turned around quickly walking a step ahead but he spun me around.

“What!” he yelled; his face almost red and his brows so close together they seemed one. “Div— are you crazy? What the hell is wrong with you? You can’t—”