Chapter 18

--- 18 ---

*Arianna Lancaster*

Over the unsteady thudding of my heart, I forced myself to stay still. Maybe it was just in my head. Maybe I was just thinking about it… but I know I wasn’t. It hadn’t been in my head. I heard it. And that would only be possible if… It can’t be. No.

I mean yeah I wanted it to happen but I couldn’t think of any good reason why it would happen.

I froze in my place, trying very hard to concentrate, to hear the voice call my name again over the loud murmuring of people around. But it seemed impossible. My ears were strained by the loud thudding of my heart.

“Ari…” he whispered, so close behind me.

Unable to take the painful pleasure, I swapped around and found his silver-blue eyes, gleaming down in mine. My heart stopped at his breath-taking smile.  “Brandon…” I breathed out after what seemed like ages and his smile stretched even more. A life filled in me; a life that was lost somewhere. “You’re here?” I whispered, still unable to really believe that Brandon was standing there in front of me.

“Very much, yeah. Pinch me if you want.” He grinned.

I gasped. “Oh my God! You’re here. In New York! God, it’s you. Here!” I hadn’t realized I had started hyperventilating until Brandon grasped my arms.

“Believe it Gorgeous. It’s me and I am here.” He was still smiling widely.

“Oh —But what are you doing here?”

“Couldn’t leave you, could I?” His voice filled-in many empty layers inside me. It was too much to take. For so long I thought we were over. We would never get together, no matter what and now he was here; back to me.

Everything inside me started to shake and before it could break me, I lunged on to him and wrapped my arms around his neck, burying my face in his chest. It was soothing. It was refreshing. It was like heaven.

Brandon hesitated. “Uh, Ari, I think they are watching us.”

“I don’t care.” I mumbled wanting to just hold him forever –if possible.

He chuckled and eased up, caressing me fondly. “God, I missed you.”  

“I missed you too.” I pulled back a while later, watching his eyes drowning in mine.

So my fairytale does have a happy ending now? Was the real prince of my life really back for me? I’m really saved from that evil villain? My heart swelled twice at the thought.

“Hey Arianna.” We both were startled at the sudden approach of a hazel eyed girl. The face I knew. Her honey blonde hair was pretty much the same from last time. “Uh,” She started, taken aback by my rudeness of not recognizing her. “Cameron Hart. We met—”

“Yeah, I remember.” I smiled at her. She was my rescuer from that day at Ball.  

She smiled back. “I hope they’re not giving you hell now. I wont be much help—” and then noticed Brandon who looked extra cheerful. “So you’ve met the new guy?”

I eyed Brandon with amusement. “You are the new guy?” I had to suppress a grin.

“I was new. Now it’s you. I’ve been here a week.”

“A week!” I almost yelled –Cameron took a step back, but then I controlled it. “You were here a week ago and you didn’t tell me?” my eyes went wide.