Chapter 24

--- 24 ---

*Arianna Lancaster*

“Good morning, sunshine!” Chase exclaimed as soon as I entered kitchen the next morning. I hadn’t really slept all night; thoughts kept me awake. Thoughts about what Junior had said, what would happen to me and Brandon and where would Chase and I go… what’ll our marriage lead to… and now as I saw Chase standing near the stove, taking something gooey off the pan into the plate, all the tiredness from last night seemed to drain away.

“Breakfast’s ready. Eggs and pancakes.” He announced happily, turning to me now. I choked out a laugh as I sighted his face; red in cheeks from heat and white with flour, messy hair. His eyes watching me hopefully, narrowed. “What? If you don’t want to eat, I’ll have Milo eat this.” he frowned.

“No, no.  I’ll…” I suppressed my laugh and walked over just to find black-brown pancakes and sick gooey thing on the plate. I could feel Chase watching me hopefully. My stomach turned at the sight of the food. “Uh, Chase? What do you call this exactly?”

“Honey glazed pancakes and crumbled eggs with cheese!” he announced like a proud chef, grinning widely.

“Only it doesn’t look anything like that…” I mumbled. “Tell me, have you ever cooked before?”

“This is the second time.”

“And did your last taster survived?” I bit my lip hard to keep myself from laughing.

His face fell and he rolled his eyes. “Ever so ungrateful!” He commented, blowing out a sigh and in a swift movement he dumped the plated in the bin.

“Chase— what? I didn’t mean—”

“Get your bag, we’ll be late for school.” He turned and left. Milo barked behind him and I stood there shocked. What has gotten into him? Chase has never acted so childish before. Nevertheless, he had never been so nice with me.

Great. He was making me feel bad.

Shrugging off, I glanced at my watch. Brandon would be here in fifteen minutes. Enough for me to make sandwiches. I quickly gathered the things I needed and started working. I smiled as I wrapped them cleanly in the foil. I was sure Chase’s ego won’t allow him to eat in front of me so he might take it with him and steal a bite or two in the limo on the way.

“What’re you doing?” Chase came around behind me, fully dressed, looking clean. “I thought I said—” he peered at the sandwiches sitting on the counter and then stared at me.

Don’t smile Ari! My mind scolded but it was as if someone had plastered it there. I felt gratified.

“Seriously? You think this is going to work?” he raised his eyebrow.

“Of course.” I grinned and he shook his head.

“Try me.” he folded his arms across his chest and leaned against the counter, wearing a stubborn face. “But don’t take too long, I don’t want to be late.”

“Chase cut the drama and—”

“Your time’s running.” he tapped his foot.

I sighed, frustrated. “Alright.” I rolled my eyes, picked up the sandwich and unwrapped it. “Eat it ‘cause you’re hungry…” I shoved it at him but he just stared at me. “C’mon!” I forced as the smell of melted cheese and chicken hit my nostrils making my stomach growl. I hadn’t eaten last night nor did Chase I think. He didn’t make any effort to take it or even look at it. “Fine. Don’t eat. But I’m hungry.”