Out of line

Friday evening, the night of my junior prom, and here I am sitting and letting this whole mess come out. I’m not even worried about not going to prom. I would be the loser with no friends, a date or something to hold on to. Oh wait, I already am.

            My mom tried to force me to go tonight so I could hang out with my friends. My own mother doesn’t even knows me. But I said no and locked myself in my room, my laptop on my lap and music as loud as my mom allows it to be. Wow life is perfect.

            Even my older sister, Beth, was out to go to an after prom party. She’s 3 years older than me and she graduated already, but she looks like the type of girl who prefers high school guys over hot college boys. She already dated half of the guys in my school. Should I be proud or ashamed of that? Obviously everybody thinks she’s a slut, but still everybody looks at her like she’s some kind of queen or something. Beth has no idea and I would be pleased to tell her something like this, but I don’t want any drama. I’m good with my calm life.

            Even though it’s weekend I decided to sleep early. The next morning my mom was worried about Beth. She didn’t slept at home, like 80% of the time. When she came back she looked like trash. Surely she wasn’t having a pillow fight.

            On Monday I had to deal with everyone talking about prom at my class. It looked like I was the only one who skipped it (like I care). I spent the whole maths class drawing. Rather doing that than listen to Mrs Whales giving a speech about how bad our grades were. I decided to put my earphones in and listen to Ed. He knew how to calm me down.

            After the bell ranged I headed to my locker to pick up my history book. While walking by the hallway a group of jocks were laughing at each other’s and, well…… being jocks. A blond haired green eyed jock walked to me, still laughing, and pausing right in front of me. He looked at me waiting for a reaction. If I wasn’t wrong, he was Dean Brown, a senior, and also Beth’s new boyfriend. I stared at him, waiting for whatever he had to say.

-          So, how you doing Alves? – I stayed quiet. – Uh, Chloe, right? So, could you tell your sister that I looooved last night? Looking forward to repeat it all. – He smiled and winked at me and then left. The group of jocks exploded laughing behind him. Ugh, jerks. Why do girls keep on falling with guys like those? But who the hell am I to judge those girls. I was never in love. I don’t trust boys.

The bell ranged and I headed to the class. Even though we change classmates every class in my school, everyone knows that the seat by the window in the back is mine, my little corner. History is probably my favourite class besides drawing, so I really didn’t need the window to spend class time thinking about dreams that will never become real. How cheesy sounds that.

The teacher started talking about some homework we had to do and as I prepared to take some notes one of her directions made my stomach do a 180º turn.

-          Please pick a classmate to work with. And no, you can’t do it by yourself. – The teacher looked at me like she knew what I was thinking about.

Five minutes later everyone else had a partner besides me. The teacher didn’t even realise that until someone knocked on the door.

-          Sorry I’m late. Can I come in?

-          You just missed half of the class, Connor. – She sigh - I’m afraid you don’t get a partner to do this thing, but come in. 

He, Connor, was one of the guys who was with the jocks group earlier. He was a jock, but he wasn’t one of them as a group, everybody (even I) knew that. Still he was one of the most despicable guys I’ve ever met, but every girl seems to love him. If I didn’t hate boys as much as I do I would find him cute, I guess. His blue eyes, his messy dark blonde hair and a pleasant smile. Yeah, maybe he’s cute, but for me he was just one of the many stupid guys walking around this world trying to break every single piece of a girl’s heart. How stupid is that none of the others girls never tried to change that? And oh, I hate jocks. And he’s turning one of them; arrogant, thinking he can do what so ever he feels like doing and with a totally empty brain. What’s the point on being someone if you don’t even have a personality? What a waste of air.  

The teacher looked around the class and I felt her eyes stuck on me.

-          Chloe, are you by yourself? – Shit. My cover was ruined, and all because of him. I nodded. – Oh great. Connor, you’re with Chloe.    

He had a cheeky smile on and a part of me wanted to yell at him for that. He joined me in my corner at the back of the classroom with that stupid smile stamped on his face. He cleared his throat before speaking.

-          So, this will be easier for everybody if, you know, you take the lead of this thing.

I thought about it for a second, totally ignoring his physical presence. Then I laughed, not finding it funny at all.

-           Are you really thinking I will do this by myself? Grow some balls, man.

-          So, you talk. Interesting. – He looked at me and I could see that dumb smile again. – And in fact, my last name is Ball.

-          Wow, tell me more. – I rolled my eyes and tried to focus on the history’s book. He moved a bit in his chair.

-          Looks like someone is in that special time of the month.

-          Looks like someone needs help finding his own business. – I looked at him and gave him a sarcastic smile.

-          Fierce. – He moved closer and whispered – but you’re messing with the wrong guy.

-          Aren’t we all? And oh, Ball, I’m not afraid of a wannabe.

-          Then you should, baby. – He moved his chair a few centimetres away from mine. On the other hand I turned to him and looked right in his blue eyes.

-          Don’t call me that.

-          What? Oh, baby?! Why, you’re not used being called that? – He looked confused for a second, obviously faking it, and then laughed a bit loud – Oh right, only your sister gets called it. Looks like she got all the family’s luck with boys and shit. A bit too much, if you ask me.

Then I acted without thinking and slapped his face as hard as I could.