Chapter 29 (Part Two). THE END.

AN: READ NOTES AT THE END!!

                                                                                   ************

“Hello?” I timidly answered, having absolutely no idea who was on the other end. I started to walk outside, wanting to hear this properly.

“Connie? Is that you?” I didn’t recognise the voice at all, though it did sound vaguely familiar, I wasn’t sure if I just wanted it to be.

“Yeah, who’s this?” There was a pause. Whoever it was, was deciding how to break this to me.

“Don’t hang up, please. It’s Drake.” My breath caught itself, causing my jaw to drop.

“Drake? As in, my... my-

“Brother, yes. It’s me Connie, your brother.” My breathing hitched again, but this time it signalled the start of silent tears. Thirteen years. No contact. Nothing. Just like him.

“Connie, please say something? Just yell at me, scream, cry, anything. Just something?” His voice broke with the strain of trying to hold himself together.

“Are you calling to try and take Alex away from me too?” It was all I could say. He hadn’t spoken to me in thirteen long, painful years, and he calls after my Dad appears out of the blue, to try and break up Alex and I. It all seemed really suspicious, so it was the only conclusion I could come to. I saw them as a team, a unit. Against me.

“No Connie. I would never do that. I couldn’t, not after seeing the interview. You two look so happy together, I ‘m really happy for you. I always knew there was something between you two. And, I don’t mean to pry, but are the rumours true?”

“What rumours?” My voice cold. I didn’t know if I could let myself believe him, he’d let me down before, I didn’t know if I could put all my hopes in him.

“Are you getting married?”

“We’re engaged to be married, yes. Why have you called Drake?” I couldn’t take all this small talk; I wanted the truth.

“I knew you’d see right through this, you were always like that.”

“Don’t act like you know me. Tell me what’s going on.” His breath hitched. Was I really affecting him that much?

“Everything’s falling apart, Connie.” My heart went out to him in that second and I never looked back. How could I turn him away? He was my brother, yet I still couldn’t speak. I couldn’t tell him everything was going to be just fine, not like when we were kids. Everything had changed, everything was different now.

 “You were always right about Dad; I should have listened to you. I’m so sorry…” He trailed off; waiting to hear ‘I told you so’, but it never came.

“Once we moved, everything… changed. He wouldn’t let me call you, and when he was on tour he disconnected all the phones and took away my mobile. And the threats Connie… I was so alone. He didn’t let me have friends, scared that I’d tell his secret, ruin his image. I know it’s no excuse, I should have found a way, but I was so scared Con. He got so angry and… violent.” A sob burst through the silence and my heart felt like it had been ripped out of my chest. It felt like the ground was moving out from under me, I had to sit down. I looked around for a chair, choosing one from around the previous night’s fire.

“I-I don’t know what to say Drake, I’m so sorry. I should have been there with you; we should have gone through it together. You should never have had to be alone.”