Chapter 12: Never Stood A Chance Out There.

~EDITED

CONNIE'S P.O.V

It was everywhere. I knew this would happen, I always knew I'd never be able to escape. Twitter was buzzing about Alex's ex-girlfriend, Tumblr, Music websites, anywhere that had heard of the band All Time Low were talking about me. This was insane. It was a whole lot of attention that I didn't and never did want. Alex had never been 'Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low' to me, he'd just been my plain old Alex from my childhood; and that's what made this attention feel all wrong. It was almost laughable how different other people would act in my situation. So many girls would love all of this attention and would use it to every advantage they possibly could. But not me, I just wanted to crawl away and be forgotten about.

I'd reached a Bed and Breakfast because I couldn't stay in that flat tonight, not with Katie's glares and everyone's questions. No way. I'd logged on to the computer downstairs that they hired out, just to check the damage. It was major. I was trending on Twitter, there were pictures of me on Tumblr and videos of me on YouTube. There was no escaping it now, everyone was talking about Alex's girlfriend. 

I felt normality slipping away from under my grip. The normal life I'd strived for, quickly being snatched from me...

Unable to carry on watching as the computer revealed everyone's thoughts and opinions of me, I turned it off and ran upstairs to the room. As usual, my naivety made me believe that if I could get away for just a night, that I could get a clear head. Thoughts spun and looped around in my head until my phone rang next to me, stopping everything dead. I just stared at it, considering not answering it, which only made it seem to ring louder. Instantly regretting not looking at the Caller ID as I answered it, I heard a familiar voice.

But not the voice I was expecting.

"Erm, Jack? What's up?" 

"Which hotel are you at? I need to see you, it's urgent." I had no energy left to refuse or ask why, so I just told him the address of the B&B and hung up. It wasn't like time alone was working anyway. Then the thought crossed my mind that it'd be Alex that appeared at my door and not Jack. He wouldn't. Surely not... 

The room phone rang.

"Yeah?"

"Connie Boleyn? There is a man named Jack Barakat here to see you, is it okay if I send him to your room?"

"Sure." He hung up. I didn't think they were allowed to just send randomers up to people's room. Maybe Jack hit on him, it wouldn't surprise me. He was the campest person I knew and he was one of my best friends. That was another reason I hated this whole Alex drama, because I felt like I lost some of my best friends in it all. I was really close with most of the band and crew having spent the majority of my life with them, they felt like a second family, but Jack always seemed to just know when people were upset, when others had no idea. Sometimes, I was even closer to Jack than I was to Alex.

As soon as I opened the door and saw his face, I broke down in tears. He grabbed me before I fell to my knees, picked me up and sat on the bed, just cradling me in his arms, my head buried in his chest and my arm wrapped around his waist. He made soothing noises, his only intention to calm me down because he knew exactly what was wrong already.

"Everything is just a mess!" I said through my sobs.

"I know Con, I know." 

"I miss you."

"I miss you too." 

And we sat in silence. My sobs had calmed, and I was just content to fall asleep in his arms. For now.