Chapter 3: Past Becomes Future.

• Dedicated to Siân Bethan Howard

~EDITED.

CONNIE'S POV

Don't look back. Don't look back. Don't look back.

I relentlessly tried to convince myself that I wasn't going back and that I didn't want to ever see Alex again. I knew where it left me and I couldn't live like that again. Forever in the shadow of the golden rock star only to be dropped like a burning match on the tip of his fingers.

My train of thought was interrupted by my phone ringing, the song was Remembering Sunday, Alex had set it on my phone those three long months ago and I guess I'd never changed it... He'd set it as that because he wanted to remind me that I healed him. All the bad relationships and of the poison of his bad experiences, I was the antidote. I was his light, his beautiful light. I guess it was all just lies, he may have believed them at the time, but all along we were just kidding ourselves.

Its incessant ringing reminded me that I had to check who it was; I obviously expected it to be either Alex or Josh, again. But instead I saw Jack's name. Jack was one of Alex's band mates, he played lead guitar. He was also one of Alex's best friends... I answered it more out of curiosity than anything else.

"Jack? What's up?" Whoa, it was obvious I'd been crying; my nose was blocked up and my voice was strained.

"What has Alex done this time?" He was always so straight to the point, he didn't see why you should subtly hint when you could just come out with it. He'd been like this all the many years I'd known him.

"I really just don't want to talk about it Jack. I'm trying to get away from him and the problems that follow him, I really don't need you on my back as well."

"I'm sorry, I'm just worried sick about you. I'm scared you're going to do something stupid." He did care about me, he was really protective, like the brother mine had never been. He generally took my side when me and Alex had arguments because he knows exactly what Alex is like.

"I do love you sometimes Jackary." I was met with a silence on the other end. Almost as if what I'd just said had really offended him. That was strange.

"Jack? You still there?"

"I, erm, have to go." And he put the phone down.

Okay, now that was definitely weird. Today was turning out to be one of the worst days I'd ever had, I was losing everybody. Again.

But I didn't have time to wallow pathetically in my own misery, I had to figure out a place to stay. I was heading to Camden in London, it was the place I felt most at peace. I'd had so many good times there, it had been the first place I'd gone to just by myself. I'd fallen in love with the place when I was there with Alex and his band for a gig and ended up staying for a few months. I got my own job and for a while I was so independent. I could really be myself and not 'Alex Gaskarth's girlfriend', it was so refreshing.

So I decided to call up some people I'd got to know last time I was down in Camden. I hadn't spoke to them in a long time, but they knew the person I always tried to be, the person that hadn't got a famous rock star for an ex-boyfriend and another famous rock star for a roommate. They were the people that saw me as a normal, average girl. Something I'd never been, but always wanted to be.

I called up a girl called Sian, she'd seemed nice enough, a bit weird but I was in no position to be fussy. She answered the phone with a confused, "Hello, who's this?"

She mustn't have my number saved. "Oh, it's Connie from Barfly. We met when All Time Low were in town doing a gig last September? I worked there for a few months?" I hoped to God she remembered me. If not, I was completely alone in this new life I'd chosen.

"Erm... Oh yeah! Connie... What was it now? Connie Boleyn?"

"Yep, that's me!" I was so relieved, I didn't have to find my own way, I had someone to help me through this mess I'd landed myself in.

"What's up? Are you back in Camden? I haven't spoken to you in so long!" She sounded pretty overjoyed to hear from me actually, which quite surprised me, I didn't know I'd made such an impression...

"I will be in about three hours, I'm just on the road now. Fancy meeting up? I sorta need your help." I knew it sounded a bit vague but I couldn't explain all of this over the phone, especially to someone I barely knew.

"Oh okay, sounds very mysterious! Where d'you want to meet?" She seemed to accept my secrecy and I was glad to not have to explain it all.

"The Barfly again? About 3 o' clock?"

"Sure, I'll still be about! See you there then."

"See you!" And the phone went dead. I expected her to still be around at 3 o' clock in the morning, she stroke me as the kind of girl who thought sleep was boring and took away from meeting new people.

I took a deep breath. This was it. My new life, and I had absolutely no idea where it was going to take me. And despite that thought scaring the life out of me, it also excited me. A new life. Away from my problems. A fresh start.

However, little did I know at the time, the past always manages to catch up with you. You can't escape it forever.