Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Astra shivers in my arms. I pull her close to my chest and she inhales my scent. I wasn't use to these type of emotions but for some reason everything was coming natural to me. For once in my life I felt more human than anything. Astra fingers clutch at my hips and she squeeze in discomfort. I look down and notice how her face was twitching in displeasure. I wanted to wake her up and hear her voice but I knew she was exhausted and she needed the rest before we begin traveling again. She groans and I shush her quietly.

The door creaks open and I growl until I noticed it is only Margret with Lilth closely behind her. I'm not sure what has happened to the others. They have probably left. I don't seem to care for them anymore. I cannot trust them to take care of Astra. Astra whimpers and this gain Margret attention.

"I told you to wake me if she's in pain." Margret say.

I look up at her. "She's having a nightmare. She's okay." I tell her. Margret doesn't trust me. She walks over and place her hands delicately on Astra forehead.

"She's burning up."

I swallow. "I didn't notice." Margret shake her head.

"You wouldn't have noticed. She's different. Just as you're different. You two body temperatures are different." She pause. "It's not your fault. I should have stayed."

"What do you need to do?" I ask.

"I need to run some test but we need to strap her down first." Margret explains. "She's..." The scientist clears her throat. "She's out of control and I don't want to hurt her."

I scowl.

NO!

My mind roars.

Kill her!

I shake my thoughts away. "No." I growl. "We will not trap her like they did."

"Zillah—

"I said no!" I roar.

Lilth kicks off the wall and I arch my eyebrow. She watches me closely while taking a step forward behind Margret. I hiss underneath my breath. Lilth and Margret were both somehow close now and I didn't know should I worry or not. Did Lilth loyalty to somehow falter.

"Okay." Margret gives in. "Place her here on the table."

I slowly carry Astra to the table careful not to wake her. I place her down softly and Margret begins to work quickly. I watch as she pulls out different tools and gadgets. She draws blood and walks over to another table and uses a machine that begins to run test on Astra blood.

As Margret work I move towards Lilth and ask, "When did it start?"

"When did what start?" Lilth ask. She could mask her features well but I could see right through her.

"When did you start sleeping with Margret?" I ask bluntly.

Lilth opens her mouth and then close it before furrowing her eyebrows in frustration. "We are not sleeping together." She hiss underneath her breath.

"But, you want to right?"

"Stay out of it." Lilth hiss. "I stayed out of you and Astra mess. You owe me to figure all this out on my own."

I nod my head. "Of course. These emotions you are feeling are difficult to understand. I struggled for a long time and I'm still trying to understand somethings. But, we are as much human as they are Lilth. We deserve to love."