Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Margret and I wake up early the next morning. Pluto was getting worse by the second. She was shivering and her skin was forming dark blue patches in certain areas. Margret feeds her soup and give her a few more douses of medication she could find in the lab.

"This should keep her sedated until we make it back."

I nod my head and look at Pluto tossing and turning in her sleep. "Maybe you should stay with her."

"I'm not letting you go alone." Margret frown as if this discussion was out of the question. "The lab is a maze. You wouldn't know where to start."

"Well draw me a fucking map." I hiss while slamming my fist on the nearby table.

Margret shake her head. "I'm sorry, Astra. I'm going."

I chew on my bottom lip and turn away from her. She tries to touch my shoulder but I pull away from her touch. She pull her hand back and look down and away. I wrap my arms around myself and begin to sob. Margret hugs me from behind and I grab the table to keep from collapsing. "I don't want any more blood on my hands."

"This is my decision, Astra." She whispers softly. "You can't protect everyone."

She forces me to face her and when I look into her eyes I could see the determination. I knew there was no way of talking her out of this. "We should pack a few things and get going."

I sag against the table and sigh rubbing my eyes. I didn't get much sleep the previous night because Margret and I had to keep watch on Pluto. There was so much planning to go over and it still seem as if we would barely make it out. I strap on my combat boots and pull on the leather jacket I found in one of the nearby closets.

Once I am done Margret is pulling her hair into a high ponytail. It was messy but it fit her face. She gives me one of her best smiles and squeeze my hand. "We're going to get through this." She tell me. I cock my head to the side in wonder. "Why are you here Margret?" I question. "Why are you still here?"

Margret shake her head. She take a step forward and touch my cheek delicately. "Because I care Astra. You are the most caring, determine, and honest person I have ever met and if your heart didn't belong to another I would have continued to fight for you."

My eyes widen at the confession. I knew Margret liked me. That information wasn't hard to come by when my father was trying to force us together. Power Couple. He told me. But, what my father missed was how strong Margret was. She wouldn't have kept her mouth shut and stayed in line and out of family business. She would have helped me run the company and we would have a succeeded.

I could see myself happy in a perfect world. Making the world a better place with Margret at my side. We would have been the perfect team but this wasn't a perfect world.

I snap out of my thoughts when Margret squeeze my hand. "It's okay. We're going to get through this okay." I look up and lock eyes with Margret and pull her into a hug. "In a perfect world." I mutter in her ear. She pull back with confusion in her eyes. I chuckle and move a lock out of her face and she blush. I look towards the door when I hear it shut. I pull myself out of Margret arms and is surprised to see Zillah her bright red eyes narrow as she clench her jaw.

"You're still here." I say.

"I am." She reply. She then tilt her head in confusion. She look between Margret and I before noticing the supplies in my hand. "Where are you going?" She question.

I begin to stuff several more items in the bag to busy myself. We didn't have the time to have this conversation. "I'm going to get the medicine for Pluto."