Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Jamie yanks me into his home before shutting the door behind me. He then pull me up the steps in panic. “Jamie.” I whisper but he shushes me and take me up to the third floor. We climb the steps into the attic and Jamie looks at me again and examine me. “Your hair is shorter.” He say.

I pull at the curls and shrug. “I'm a wanted terrorist. It was either a chop or blonde.”

Jamie frowns at the suggestion. There is a pregnant pause before I speak. “I need your help.”

“Why should I?” He hisses. “You are a wanted terrorist.”

“Jamie whatever they are saying about me on the news is a lie. My brothers are criminals. They are trying to kill all of the SS patients. I'm trying to stop them. You have to believe me.”

“I don't have to believe anything.” Jamie scowls. “You disappeared Astra. Without a trace. I called you millions of times and the FBI raided my home looking for you. They said you team up with the SS patients who were also terrorist and you…” He pause. “You killed your own father.”

My eyes widen.

“I knew you didn't like the man but how could you murder your own…

“I didn't kill my father.” I hiss while bawling my fist in anger. “You know me Jamie I would never harm anyone.”

“But, you changed Astra. Zillah changed you.”

“Zillah has done nothing but protect me from my brothers.” I frown. How could he say such things to my face. I thought he was my best friend but I guess I thought wrong. I swallow and look to Jamie one more time before grabbing my bag. “I should not have come here. I will escort my way out.”

Jamie shifts uncomfortable and I yawn before heading to his mini fridge and taking his food and drinks. I shove them in my bag hoping this could last me a few days before I figure something else out.

I flinch when Jamie squeezes my shoulder. “I'm sorry I can't help you.”

“It's okay.” I reply sadly.

“You look bad.” Jamie say. “You can stay up here but you need to be gone before sunrise.” He head to the door. “I still care. Good luck Astra.”

[][]

I'm grateful for the hot meal Jamie sneaks up here while I sleep. I almost choke from eating too fast. Being on the run without Zillah was more difficult than I thought. She made it look easy. I lay my head back down on the couch. Jamie and I use to come up here and hangout. Play games and read. Anything to keep us occupied. This was our spot. I lean on the window sill and glance out as the sun set. I didn't have long before it was time for me to go.

I lay my head down and close my eyes for another nap. Someone beating on the door makes me jump out of my sleep. I quickly grab my things when the door is blasted open. “Fuck.” I hiss and dodge the bullets aimed towards me. My fangs emerge and my eyes begin to glow deadly. I was well rested and energized which made me more powerful.

“The boss need her alive.” One of the men shout.

“She's dangerous.” Another shout aiming the gun my way. I move quickly before they could argue any further and my dagger shoots into one of their thighs. He pulls the trigger while falling. His bullets flying everywhere.

I pick up his body and use him as a shield. He screams in agony at the bullet in his thigh but my strength hold him up. My ear twitches as I hear more men storming up the steps.

Walking out the front door was not an option. The men continue to point the gun at me and I wonder how they knew I was here. I was careful. I gasp in shock before frowning. Jamie. I slowly back up and the man in my arms scream as I drag him. I then push him and shoot bullets toward the men before jumping out the window. The glass shatters and I hop over the tall gate with no problem.