Chapter 16

Maria Sol, T, and I arrived back at the hotel from lunch when the concierge called me over.

"Ms. Aveiro, chegou um pacote para você," the Brazilian tells me before handing a bag over to me.

"De quem?" I question as I look in the bag to see a box.

"Desculpe, eu não foi dito," he tells me before he answers the ringing phone.

Maria Sol gives me a questioning look as I made my way back to her and Thiago and I just shrug my shoulders.

"Ooooh I should tell Leo you have a secret admirer," she mocks as I nudge her.

"Si because men are just begging for my constant attention," I say as we laugh, with Thiago joining in.

As we reach the room I rush to the bed to put the bag down and take the box out, and a card falls out. I bend down to pick it up and read it. Maria Sol follows me in and places Thiago on the bed, next to the spot where the box is before she goes to the bathroom.

"Sorry they're late. Hope they fit. ~ Cris and Junior"

I intake my breath in shock and proceed to tear the box open to find two 2014 Portugal home jerseys, one my size and the other Thiago's size. Mine has "Ronaldo 7" on it, while Thiago's is blank.

Maria Sol walks back in, "So who was it from?" she asks and takes the spot next to T.

"My brother," I say still in shock. I grab my phone from my purse before telling Sol I was going for a walk.

Why would he send these? Especially after Portugal got kicked out of the tournament?

I quickly dial Cris' number and wait for him to answer.

"Hello?" A heavily accented, female voice answers.

"Hi, is Cristiano there?" I ask, recalling the few English words I learned from the time Cris spent in Manchester.

"Uhm, yes. Who is calling?"

"His sister."

I hear a snort on the other end, "Both his sisters are here with me. Nice try."

"Você está falando sério? Just put him on the phone. Tell him it's Marisol," I respond, extremely annoyed.

"Criiiiiiiiis, someone named Marisol is calling you," she shouts.

After a few moments of shuffling I hear my big brother, "Mari?"

"Why did you send them?" I blurt out.

"The jerseys?"

"Sim," I sigh.

"Cause I told you I would get you one before the tournament started and I never got you one," he stated calmly.

"Ok, but why did you send one for Thiago?"

"Because... I thought that Portugal would get farther than they did and maybe you would have liked to come and watch me play."

"Oh, Cris... You know I would have..."

I hear him sigh on the other end, "I know. Tell Messi I said congratulations on making the final."

I smile softly, "I will."

After a few seconds of silence, I ask another question that had been bothering me, "So, who was the girl that answered the phone?"

He laughs, "Minha namorada, Irina."

"... Is she good to Junior?"

"She's adjusting. She's never really been around kids."

I groan, "Cris, don't let Junior get attached if she isn't fond of him..."

"Well we can't all be as accepting as you are for your significant others' kid, now can we?" He snaps

"Acalme-se, I'm just trying to help," I explain to him.

"I know, but... Listen, I'll talk to you when you get back to Spain. Maybe we'll meet up for dinner," he says before hanging up.

Geez, love you too, Grande Irmão.

-

"Mi hijo!" Celia cried as she hugged her Messi jersey. "He's going to win it for us, Mari!"

"I know. We know, don't we, T?" I say in a baby voice and tickle the little boy, making him giggle.

"Argentwina!" He squeals and waves the little Argentinian flag that Celia had gotten him. The grandmother smiles at her youngest grandson as her other grandchildren run into the private box to watch the final.

Augustine comes up to me and asks if Leo seemed nervous and I just shake my head, "He'll win it for you, don't worry." He just shrugs and runs off to play with the other kids as the adults just wonder if what I said was true.

-

Damn you, Mario Götze.

Of course, losing is apart of playing.

Of course, there will always only be one winner of the World Cup.

Of course, it is always more heartbreaking to go down in a final than it is in a group stage.

Of course, the World Cup is what will set apart a team as the "all-time greats".

Of course, this just wasn't the year for Argentina to win. Destiny decided that as Higuaín's goal would be offsides, as Leo would overshoot the free kick, and as Götze's extra time goal would prove to be the deciding winner.

The entire Messi family didn't say anything as they exited the stadium. I waited for everyone to leave, until just a few fans and family of the players were left. Maria Sol took Thiago back to the hotel for me.

After about 40 minutes, the Argentinian team walks out of the tunnel, and I walk right into Leo's arms. We just hold each other for ten minutes, as Sergio and Angel do with their wives as well.

"Is there anything I can do, amor? Name it and it's yours," I promise him, with a kiss on the cheek to seal it.

He takes a deep breath, "Just stay with me forever."

I smile softly at him, "I already planned on it."

Sorry it's short but I wanted you all to have a small present for Christmas :) 

I was dreading this chapter also because I hate talking about the World Cup loss but didn't want to change it cause I want to try and keep the story as accurate as possible. Buuuuuut since I took forever just because I didn't want to write it and I'm excited for the next few so they may come a bit sooner than later :)