Chapter 8

Junior and Thiago are asleep when Cristiano comes storming into the hospital room a few hours later. He gives Sophia an "I'm going to kill you look" before looking at me and asking, "O que diabos você ainda está fazendo aqui?" I roll my eyes at his harshness before sighing and responding that I was there for my nephew.

"Sophia could've handled it," he exclaims angrily.

"Obviously she fucking couldn't if she had to call me!"

He takes off his training jacket before asking to speak to me outside and glares when he sees me pick up Thiago. "What? You think I'm taking a chance for something to happen to Thiago?" He snorts and mumbles something about Thiago not being mine before storming outside.

I follow him outside to see him leaning against the wall, breathing heavy. "Why him? Was it to hurt me?"

I chuckle at his narcissism, "You need to learn that not everything I do is because of you, Cris, sometimes I do things for myself."

"This is more than you, though, Marisol. This is me, Junior, Katia, Elma, Hugo, Rodrigo-"

"I know who my family is, thanks. And whoever I'm dating isn't about them. It's about me," I tell him sharply.

I stares me down. "Mãe doesn't approve of him, neither do I."

"Eu não me importo."

We're quiet for a few moments when I ask if we're done here.

"I guess we are. Have a nice life, Marisol."

I walk back to the room with Thiago asleep on my shoulder, grab my purse and baby bag, before kissing Junior's head and storm pass Cristiano.

-

I'm sitting in the train station with Thiago playing with my keys when I get a call from Leo.

"Hola," I answer.

"Hola, amor, como estas?"

"I've been better," I tell him honestly.

"It'll get better, mi vida. I'll be home in two days and we'll go out, just the two of us? How does that sound?"

I smile at the thought of having him all to myself. I love Thiago, but I'm still a selfish lover who wants Leo all to myself.

"That sounds perfect."

"Bien. How's Thiago?"

"Good, he slept through most of what happened with Cris and I, but him and Junior got along excellent," I reminisce as I think about the few pictures I have on my phone of the two playing.

"Really? That's great, babe!"

"Congrats, on your goal, by the way, and Sergio, too," I change the subject, and he passes the congratulations to Sergio.

"Gracias, amor, did you see the dedication?"

"Que? No."

"You'll see it eventually. Babe, I gotta go, the team has one more conference to do before we can leave. Love you," he says hanging up.

I quickly Google "Messi Argentina" on my phone and click the first link from the recent game to watch his goal. As it plays and Leo scores from an excellent volley, he starts to celebrate his normal way and dedicates it to his deceased grandmother, but then continues at the end by putting his thumb in his mouth and blowing a kiss towards the camera and clearly says te amo. This makes me smile and get an idea. I get Thiago and take a cute selfie with him, before I pose him the same way Leo had been photographed celebrating and take a picture like that. I sent Leo both photos with the caption, "We love you more :)".