Chapter 12

"Are you sure you're comfortable with this, Mari? You don't have to come with me," Leo says, buckling Thiago into his car seat.

I sigh, "Leo, I know it'll be awkward, pero I don't want you going in there alone."

He laughs darkly, "They're my ex's family, amor, not terrorists."

I know Antonella's parents aren't big fans of Leo, but I'm not sure he realizes how much he is disliked.

"They blame you for her death and for keeping them away from T. They aren't exactly your biggest fans," I try to explain.

Thiago lets out a squeal causing Leo and I to laugh, before getting into our respective seats in the Audi. I knew Leo was dreading this day the most since we arrived.

"You don't have to leave him, you know? You can tell them you don't feel comfortable leaving him by himself," I suggest as he starts to drive off.

My boyfriend groans, "Yo los he conocido toda mi vida, Mari. It would be insulting if I said I don't trust them with their own grandchild."

I let a few minutes of silence pass before saying anything else, "I'll wait in the car. I don't think it's appropriate for me to go."

"I understand, estaban aquí," he says, pulling into a driveway of a nice sized house, "I used to come here almost everyday to play with her cousin, my best friend, Lucas," he continues with a soft, nostalgic smile.

A dark-skinned, older man steps out of the house, followed by a light skinned, dark haired woman. Antonella's parents, I guessed.

"Ahora o nunca," he muses before getting out and moving to get Thiago. I turn around from my seat to tell him I loved them both to which he just smiles and winks at me.

"Hola," Leo yells over his shoulder, "Como estas?"

"Bien." I hear a soft, heavily-accented voice a few feet aways.

And with that Leo and Thiago were whisked away to my predecessor's family.

-

I had been playing on my phone for about an hour before a young woman knocked on my window, with Thiago in her arms.

I open the door and step out, "Hola?"

She gives me an apologizing look, "Lo siento, Leo and my parents were fighting about where to raise Thiago and I didn't want him there while they fought, even if he couldn't understand." I nod my head in understanding.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, the brunette smiles and extends her hand, "I'm Paula, by the way, Thiago's tia."

I shake her hand, "Marisol, I'm Leo's..." I trail off not wanting to offend the girl.

She laughs to my surprise, "It's ok, you can say girlfriend. I'm glad he found someone. He was so devastated about losing Tony. Plus, I wouldn't want Thiago to grow up without a female presence, and a nanny isn't one," she sighs at the end.

I felt like it was a blessing from her, that I could go out with Leo. I smiled, "Gracias, I was so nervous that you wouldn't approve of Leo moving on."

She looks away, "Well, my parents are a different story. They don't approve of him moving on so quickly from my sister. That's what they're fighting about right now."

Breathing out stressfully, I give her a sad smile.

-

20 minutes after Paula came out, Leo stormed out of the house with Antonella's father right behind him.