Chapter 14

"Buenos dias, amor," I whisper as I walk up to Thiago who's babbling nonsense. It's 6 am and Celia is taking Thiago and I to the airport so we can make it to the opening ceremony for the World Cup. "Are you ready to go on a plane again?" T recognizes the word "plane" and squeals loudly.

I hear a knock on the door and turn to see Leo's mother there smiling softly, "Ready?"

I nod, "Si, can you take Thiago so I can get my bag?" She reaches for her grandson, "Claro."

I grab my suitcase and follow the older women to the living room where Jorge and Maria Sol are waiting to say goodbye. Jorge takes his grandson from Celia to say goodbye.

"Adios, sweetheart, we'll see you for the first game, si?" Jorge says giving me a hug and kiss on the cheek.

I smile brightly at him, "Of course"

"Adios, Papi," Sol says giving her father a kiss and hug before moving to take her bags to the car.

"Adios, Thiaguito, Abuelo loves you," the older man said to T in a baby voice and gave him a butterfly kiss on his head.

"Come on, now, we don't want you to miss your flight. Leo would have our heads," Celia shouts from the doorway as I take Thiago from Jorge and go to the car and strap him in.

-

"Bye, darling," Celia says with a smile, "Take care of my boys."

I laugh, "Claro que si, I can't let this ladies man out of my sight," I say bouncing Thiago on my hip.

She turns her attention to her youngest, "Maria Sol, no shenanigans."

Sol rolls her eyes, "Yes, Mami. I love you," she says with a kiss before hopping off to the check in counter.

"See you three next week," She calls after her daughter before leaving me to follow Sol.

I walk up to where Sol met up with a steward and put my suitcase, Thiago's little suitcase, the baby bag, and my purse down for her to check in. "Going for the World Cup?" The young brunette asks us while checking our tickets.

"Si," I smile back at her.

"Un momento, Messi? His last name is Messi! He's Leo's son, isn't he? Is Leo going to win us the World Cup like Maradona?" She says, beginning to freak out. Sol rolls her eyes at the girl.

"Shhhh! Por favor, I'm just trying to get there in peace," I beg her in a whispered tone.

"Si, si, perdon. Here, you're ready to go. Security for international flights are over there, make sure to have your passports and tickets out," She says, shoving the papers towards me.

"Gracias," I respond as I pick up the baby bag and my purse while Sol picks up Thiago.

As we make our way through security, the guard is checking Thiago's passport and stops us. "Are either of you his mother?"

Sol and I look at each other, and she moves to speak, "No, his mother died. This is his step-mom and I'm his aunt," she smiles at him.

He slowly nods before checking the tickets, "Next time, just forewarning, you need an affidavit to travel with a minor."

"Gracias," I say taking all the tickets and passports. I follow Maria Sol to our boarding gate, where she sits down to call Andres and I go to change Thiago.

Off to Brazil!

-

"Obrigado por voar conosco," the flight attendant tells us in Portuguese once we land.