Chapter 22

Screams of dying men fill the air, orcs smashing through our ranks, as if we were ants. Aragorn had issued the attack on the Black Gates, plunging us all into war. I had lost sight of Legolas, having been swept away from him. I tirelessly slew orcs that came at me, while at the same time looking for any sign of Legolas' blond hair. I froze when I saw a massive oliphaunt looming over us, crushing men beneath its feet. I began to retreat away from it when I saw it rear its head in pain, that's when I noticed Legolas.

My heart soared and I began to fight my way towards him. He jumped off of the dying creature's head as it fell, landing on his feet gracefully. He scanned his surroundings, his eyes brightening considerably when he caught sight of me. I started to run towards him, but a sharp pain pierced blossomed in my back. I twisted around to see an orc had pierced me with a spear. I cried out in agony as he yanked it out of my back, causing me to fall to my knees.

The world swam around me, I tried to focus on Legolas, but a wave of confusion hit me when I could no longer see him. I collapsed onto the ground, my cheek hitting the rough dirt. Before the light faded from my eyes I heard a faint voice crying my name.

Legolas' POV

I watched helplessly as the orc ran his spear through Linwë's chest. I loosed an arrow at the orc, hitting it between his eyes. My vision was red with rage as I began to kill anything that blocked my path to my love. Once I reached her I picked her up, to carry her to safety.

"Legolas! Help!" I heard a voice shout. Gimli. I felt a tug at my heart, forcing me to make the decision to abandon my friend, or know that I did nothing to aid Linwë.

Biting back a curse I shifted Linwë so she was laying limp over my shoulder. I fumbled to string an arrow as she whimpered at the pain I was causing her. I shot the arrow at the beast that had attacked Gimli, but began to run again without looking to see if my arrow had made its mark.

I set her down when I reached a safe distance away from the fighting. I began to pull at the straps that held her quiver in place and tossed her cloak aside. Her shirt was damp with blood, and a gaping whole was in her chest. I placed my hands on top of it, ignoring the blood that covered my hands. I allowed my Light to go into her and after a few seconds I glanced at her, but nothing had happened. Frustrated, I tried again, but still heeded nothing.

She opened her eyes, looking at me. "Legolas,"

I cupped her head, staring into her eyes. "Linwë,"

She gasped as a new spasm of pain overtook her. She looked up at me once more, exhaustion evident in her eyes as she fought to stay awake for a few seconds more. Clasping my arm she struggled to speak. "Legolas, don't leave me,"

I shook my head. "I will never leave you, mellamin,"

She gave me a faint smile as her grip on my arm weakened. "Legolas, remember me,"

I bit my lip, forcing back tears. "Don't talk like that, you're not going anywhere,"

"Legolas, be strong," she coughed. "Valar be with you,"

A ragged breath escaped my lips. "Linwë, I love you,"

Her expression softened and she gripped my shirt with her hand. "I love-"

Another cough raddled her body, this time bringing up blood. Her breathing slowed, and soon her hand fell limp at her side. I gripped her shoulders, trying to call my Light, but it was too late. I knew in my heart she was gone.

My shoulders shook and I choked on tears. Hugging her body to my chest I sat there, letting grief wash over me.

****
I did not know how much time had passed when I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I jerked away from the touch, I heard a sigh.