Chapter 21

We had arrived at Minas Tirith several days ago. The city was unnervingly quiet, people only venturing outside if they had to, glancing around frightfully, as if Sauron himself was going to swoop out of an alleyway and attack them. I deemed Denethor to be a rather cowardly man, sitting inside the palace he claimed as his own, ordering about servants and feasting, while we were in the midst of a war. I watched as Pippin declared his fealty to Denethor. I was rather shocked when he did so, Pippin was never a fighter, nor did he have any reason to cast his loyalty to Denethor.

Tension grew as we prepared for the inevitable slaughter that was sure to happen at the Black Gate. As the day approached I constantly checked to make sure I had all of my weapons, that my armor was polished. I was in the room that I was given, watching myself in the mirror. Suddenly there was a sharp knock on the door. I step over to it, placing my hand on the knob, before I can turn it the door is flung open, Pippin is standing before me, a wild look in his eyes.

"Linwe! You must hurry! The city is under attack!" he looked up at me, panting.

I give him a sharp look. "What?"

"Faramir is dying and Denethor has gone mad, he has told everyone to flee, he has locked himself away with Faramir, whilst his city is being taken by orcs!"

I shake my head, the actions of Denethor disgust me, how could he let his city fall? I strap my quiver on my back, and make sure my knives are in their proper place at my side. I let Pippin lead me into the courtyard. A mass of orcs can be seen flocking below the city. Giant trolls are flinging rocks at the walls, smashing buildings. Gandalf is yelling orders to the soldiers, but to avail. Nazguls had begun to swoop down towards the ramparts, plucking soldiers off and throwing them over the side. Men started to run for their lives, shouting and pushing their comrades out of their way.

I heard a roar of commotion near the front gates. The orcs had broken them down and had started to swarm the city. I ran against the wave of people, my knives drawn. When I reached the gates I immediately start to stab at orcs, nimbly jumping out of their way. More and more orcs pushed their way into the city, suddenly I am overwhelmed and I break away. I sprinted back towards the area where I had last seen Gandalf. I see him turn towards me, a mask of concern on his face.

"Linwe, child, are you hurt?"

"No, Mithrandir, slightly dazed, but otherwise in one piece," I reassured him.

He nodded. "Go to the Citadel, you will be safe there,"

"I cannot! I cannot let these people die!"

"And I cannot let you die, Linwe, I promised your father that much," Gandalf retorted.

I obeyed him and fled for the safety of the Citadel. I remained there for the remainder of the day, at nightfall we were told to evacuate the city. In hindsight we would have been safer in our sanctuary, for the lower levels of the city were on fire, orcs raiding the streets, murdering civilians and soldiers alike. I left the throng of people fleeing from the Citadel to make my way towards the fighting. As I ran through the abandoned streets I watched as strange ghost-like figures plagued the orcs, cutting them down. The last orc is cut down and I watch in awe as the ghosts disappeared, a strange calm now upon them.

I decided to return to the Great Hall, soldier were being carried to the Houses of Healing, I felt a pang of remorse at their young lives that were stolen from them. Entering the hall I heard voices, I felt excitement flow through me as I matched faces to the voices that were drifting through the corridor. Gandalf stood before Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn. I let out a cry of delight at the sighting of my blond elf.

Legolas turned at the sound, once he saw me a smile lit up across his face. "Linwe!"

He caught me in a hug as I leapt towards him. He muttered soft words of greeting in my ear before turning back to Gandalf. I stood besides Legolas and listened intently to them discuss the strategy of how to give more time to Frodo. They decided on storming the Black Gate at dawn. I thought it a rather precarious plan, seeing that Sauron outnumbered us by thousands and thousands of orcs.

Later that night I confessed those fears to Legolas. He held me on my bed, trying to comfort me. "Linwe, we will prevail, you must put faith in Gandalf,"

"You do not know that for certain," I protested. "One of us could die,"

"Melllomin, do not think like that," Legolas murmured, nuzzling the top of my head. "I will protect you,"

Comforted by his promises I fell asleep in his arms, dreaming of the war that was to come.

A/N

I am really really sorry for making you guys wait this long for an update, I don't have any proper excuses besides my lack of effort to try to come up with an idea. I have finally come up with an ending for this story so sadly there will only be two more parts to this. We've come a long way, over a year now! I want to thank all of you who commented and voted for this story, I wouldn't have made it without you! <3 Shout out to @Caladhiell for giving me ideas for these last few chapters!