Angjel

“Lame mortals.” I heard Angelus say, we met up to exchange reports before meeting with the Superiors.

“What did we ever do to sink this low?” Angelo asked.

“This is just as important as any other assignment from the Creator,” I said, “just be more patient.”

“And what about Aengelicus and Aengelle? Why aren’t they here?” Aengelique snapped.

“You heard father Metatron, they hay have an assignment of their own.” I said.

“They’re just saying that so their little princess could still live as a mortal a little longer.” Angelus says.

“You know that is not true.” I said, “Aengelle had done her job as the angel of death. She deserves this.”

“What about us?” Aengelique says, “We would also want to rest, get a little help from her.”

“We were all asked to choose what life we wanted. We all chose this life, if you would have wanted to have a life like hers you should have chosen what she did.” I said.

“Why are you and Aengelicus always protecting her?” Angelo asks. “Are you also in love with her? Maybe you’d want to be her guardian too.”

I smiled and looked away, “That’s not it…”

A memory of a little girl playing in a garden flashed though my mind.

“C’mon big brother! Come play!”

Aengelle reminds me of my sister, Tasha. She was five years old when I was taken by father Gabriel, and that was a year before Aengelle was taken. They had the same smile and energy. Sometimes they even share the same humor.

Father Raphael took me to see Tasha before I decided what life to choose.

“You can choose a life where you can always see her, but you will be among the souls in heaven. Or you could be one of the Creator’s summoned children.” Father Raphael said.

“Can I still see her, my sister?” I asked.

“You may, and you may even approach her, but you may never tell her who you were.”

I watched her sitting by the window, looking out, waiting for my return. She didn’t know she was waiting for no one.

“Tasha…” I whispered.

“What is it, Angjel? What do you choose?”

But my mind was made up, “I am forever in the debt to the Creator, I shall serve him for as long as he wants me to.” I said.

My father was a con man. And he was good in what he do. But one day, one of the men he worked for betrayed him and told a bounty hunter where he lived. And that was the start of our misery. We ran for months, away from men who were after our father.

After a while we decided to settle in a town. Father said we had gone far enough and that we could start a new life. We lived in a little brick house with four rooms, one room each for Tasha and I, and a room for my parents. It was like the old days again, and I was fifteen.

A few months later, I woke up in the middle of a winter’s night hearing someone enter the house. I stepped out of my room and saw a man about to enter Tasha’s room. I grabbed him and tackled him and threw him out of the house. There I found more of them, the same men who were looking for my father.

My parents woke up, and ran outside. I was bloody and bruised, but I stood up.

“Go inside and protect Tasha...” I said.