Hunter

I watched Huntress dance with Romeo Lee, and she started singing along.

“Is she singing?” Lei asked.

“Hunter, this song, it’s what Uncle use to sing to her, right?” Tathiannah asked.

I gave a weak nod, “It was his and mother’s song.”

Memories of father teaching us to dance when we were younger flashed through my mind. He sings this song to lull Huntress to sleep after mother’s death too.

“I’ve never seen her like this.” Tathiannah says.

“Well, a change is-”

“Bad, grandfather would not approve of it.” I said.

“But if he sees how happy she is-” Tathiannah insists, but I cut her off.

“It should not be with him.” I said.

“But we’re in NSA, you said it yourself Tigers and Dragons do not exist here, and quite frankly I don’t think she gives a damn.” Winter argued.

I watched him and saw her looked my way, “What do you think Jaeson?” I asked without looking away from Huntress and Romeo Lee.

“It is wrong Mr. President.”

“Brother-” I heard Drew cut in.

“We won’t be staying here all our lives, and reality is they cannot act like this, especially Huntress.” Jaeson said.

“That isn’t fair!” Tathiannah snapped. “They cannot control what they feel, it isn’t fair that such stupidity should control their lives.”

“Calm down, love.” Winter says, reaching for her.

“I have never seen Huntress as happy as she is now, and I know you know that Hunter.” Tathiannah says. “And I don’t care of it’s because of Romeo Lee or the Lochness monster, she’s happy and that’s what matters.”

None of us spoke for awhile, until Drew broke the silence.

“The funny thing about reality is you can still change it.” Drew says, “You will always have a choice. And we all know that only the two of them could change the reality.”

“What are you saying Drew?” Lei asked.

“That what your grandfather doesn’t know won’t hurt him.” he said. “We all know that, seeing that we are keeping a great secret from Romeo Lee.”

I smiled and nodded, “Then I know nothing as well.” I looked at him and nodded, “I’d want to see her happy, before she leaves.”

“Before she leaves?” Tathiannah asked.

“I’m not sure, but I can feel it. I can feel the day that we all dread is coming.”

“I don’t think I understand.” Lei said.

“You’ll see.” I said and glanced at Aengelicus who looked away.

Then the music stopped, and everyone clapped, then Romeo Lee and Huntress was about to leave the dance floor when some random boy approached Huntress and even had the guts to hold her by the shoulder, and in front of Romeo Lee too.

“Who is that?” I asked. Huntress was just there staring at him, and finally she agreed. Romeo Lee obviously didn’t like it, making me laugh inside, he had no idea how easy to read he was.

“I’ve never seen him before.” Lei says, “And there has been no file for an incoming student, right Jaeson?”

“None that I know of.” He answered, also watching the boy closely.

He was keeping the respectful distance between them, but it looks like he was the only one speaking, and Huntress just followed his lead.

“Is it just me or does it look one sided?” Tathiannah asks. “Its as if she isn’t doing anything.”

“Cause she isn’t.” Drew said.

We watch as the boy continue to speak, grinning every once in a while, but Huntress doesn’t return any of it. Then he leaned forward, and whispered something to her, whatever it was he said, it was enough to scare her. She stepped back and, as if on cue, she landed straight into Romeo Lee’s arms. The boy quickly left.

I see Romeo Lee and Huntress exchanging a few words and soon made their way toward us.

“Hey, you ok?” I asked, she nodded, then she walked up to me, and leaned her head on my shoulder. I wrapped my arms around her, she was stiff as a board, scared.

“Who was that?” Tathiannah asked.

“No idea.” Romeo Lee answers, scanning the place, “I’m just glad he didn’t hurt her.”

“You sure you’re ok?” I asked, looking down at her, running my hand through her hair.

“A bit upset that he ruined the night.” She said with a sigh. Trust my sister to get her priorities in a whack. I smiled and shook my head.

“Well, just forget about him.” Tathiannah said. “There is no sense letting him ruin your night.”

“That’s right. It looked like you had fun.” Drew said.

“I did, brings back memories, right brother?” Huntress said.

I smiled. “It sure did, I can’t believe you could still remember that.” I said.

Then a maid arrived and walked up to Jaeson and whispered something to him.

Jaeson nods, “Thank you.” the maid leaves and he faced me. “The chairwoman sent a carriage for you.”

I nodded and walked turned to leave, but Huntress grabbed my hand, “You’re leaving?” she asked, looking worried.

“Yes, the chairwoman would want to check on the paper works.”

“At night?” she asked.

“I’ll be ok, little sister, don’t worry.”

“We’ll be with him, princess. It’ll be like a regular day with the chairwoman.” Lei says. “Though it’ll only be Hunter and Drew who’d be permitted to see her.”

She looked more worried now, I reached for her face, “I’ll be fine Huntress.”

“Just be careful.” I nodded.

“I’m really offended,” Drew says, “Where’s the trust?”

Huntress stifles a laugh, “Look after each other.”

“Don’t worry princess, we’ll be fine.” Jaeson reassured.

Then I kissed her on the forehead and left.

“She looked really worried, I wonder what about.” I said.

“She’s always worried.” Lei said.

“I think you worry her more when you informed her of only Hunter and I will be meeting with the Chairwoman.” Drew said.

“Why is that?” Tathiannah asked.

“Well, she’s use to knowing Hunter with and entourage.” He said. “But when Hunter meets with the chairwoman he goes alone. She never knew that before.”

“But you’ll be with him and she trusts you too.” Winter said, “That should have at least eased her a bit.”

“It should, but you must understand that she’s used to the idea of you and Jaeson having Hunter’s back, rather than I.” he explained.

I grinned, “No wonder she’s so fond of you.” I said, “You are quite a thinker, aren’t you?”

Drew grins, “Well, I try to formulate questions every once in a while.”

I laughed and entered the carriage followed by Drew.