Spock

In honor of all those struggling with finals. Stay strong, and this one's for you. 

"On three?"

"On three."

"alright"

"one"

"two"

"three!" 

You threw back your head, downed the fourth energy shot you'd had in the last twenty-four hours, and gasped at the taste. From a row of books, you heard the librarian hiss a "SHHHH!" at you. 

You looked to your study-buddy across the table, Jim Kirk, who was grimacing at the taste, but swallowed hard and grinned hugely at you. 

"Ready for round.... what are we on? five?" 

"six" you moaned, looking at all of the papers, textbooks, pencils, calculators, candy wrappers, and empty energy drink canisters decorating the table. 

"We're not gonna hold out the night, much less during exams tomorrow" you whimpered, 

"Nonsense, caffeine'll get us through anything" Jim chided. 

You rolled your eyes and pulled your advanced warp mechanics textbook from your bag, thumping it on the table, Jim cracked his knuckles across from you. 

"we got this" 

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

You stopped for dinner, and half an hour later you were back at it. An hour and  a half after that, the wear was starting to show on both of you.
More energy shots, yoga for energy (that was Jim's idea), enough coffee to energize the entire federation, and you still slogged on. 

By three A.M. You were both slumped on the table, cheeks pressed against soft textbook pages and faces turned away from the harsh desk lamp. 

The librarian had locked the door behind her hours ago, making you promise you'd shut off the lights and close the door when you eventually did leave, but you heard the electronic beep of a keycard being swiped through the door and the rush of air as it slipped open. 

"Jim....Jim!" you whispered, shaking his shoulder. He snored louder at you. 

"James T. Kirk wake up I swear to god-" 

"(y/n)?" 

"Spock?" you turned in your seat and saw your favorite vulcan standing nearby with a look of utter confusion. 

"What are you doing?" 

"Studying.... At least I was, James fell asleep" 

He snored louder, mumbled something that sounded like "marshmallow famine" and tucked his face into his shoulder. 

Spock turned the lights on, and you hissed at the brightness. You had one hell of a headache from all the artificial chemicals in the energy drinks. 

"I fail to see how pushing yourself to the point of exhaustion benefits your exam performance" Spock said, catching a pencil as it rolled off the table. 

"Cramming is a student's final hope" you explained, "the idea that maybe, just maybe, you can learn an entire semester's worth of knowledge in about twelve hours" 

"Would not the health risks deter you from such behavior?" 

"nah" you winced and clutched at your head "s'not so bad" 

Spock gave you a suspicious look, pulled up a chair, and put his hand on your neck, taking your pulse. He took your hand in his free one, and you noticed how much you were shaking. 

"This is unhealthy" he chided, then reached into your bag and started rummaging around. 

"What are you doing?" you asked incredulously. 

In response, he handed you a breakfast bar. 

"I'm assuming there's some sciency-reason behind why you're handing me this?"

"The carbohydrates act as a-" 

"Yeah, yeah, okay, but the thing is, I need to stay awake still. I've still got two more chapters of linguistics to study before I even think about sleep, and I have to get Jim home because otherwise he'll just stay here and-" 

"Please?" 

"...huh?" 

"I will help you study your linguistics before the exam tomorrow, please get some sleep? I... I find it worrying how you are so willing to push yourself past your biological limits"  

You sighed loudly, leaning against his shoulder,

"FIIIIINNNNEEEE" 

He kissed your forehead, then nudged your free hand towards the one holding the breakfast bar, 

"eat" 

You sighed and sulkily unwrapped it, watching Spock pack up your schoolwork while munching thoughtfully on your breakfast bar. 

"...what are we gonna do with Jim?" 

Spock paused, "I do not know" 

You smirked evilly, 

"I have an air horn in my bag...." 

A/N: Hello everybody! so I feel it necessary to include this after writing this ficlet; one, that please be careful with your caffeine consumption this finals season, I did some research and have slightly terrified myself with the dangers of too much caffeine. Two, please I hope you all get some sleep, one nighters aren't all they're cracked up to be, and three, study  hard, but don't be too hard on yourself, you got this :)

Live long and may the odds be ever in your favor, 
-Annora