Chapter 17

I must have fallen asleep because I awoke to a knocking on my door.

“Come in.” I said as I scrambled to sit up in my bed.

“Lainey we need to talk…” Spence said as he sit on the edge of my bed taking a deep breath.

“Are we going to just pretend like nothing happened?” he asked.

“Well I know that’s your usual plan of action, so I didn’t think you would mind.” I said coldly.

“Lainey…you have every reason to be nasty and hate me…things between us have been complicated ever since I got here. But I know I’m not the only one who feels something between us…something strong…” he said and my heart pounded against my chest.

I knew he was right, and it was killing me to admit it.

I knew this conversation was going to give me closure. As much as I said I was done with Spencer, I know I wasn’t really done until I had closure, until all hope I had was gone…

“I know it seems like I’ve been playing games with you, but I haven’t…I’ve been trying to stay away and fight these feelings because… its just so wrong…you're my best friends kid sister, and my student…” he said.

I couldn’t listen to this anymore; my heart was breaking with each word he spoke.

“Spencer all I want to know is anything you're going to tell me change anything between us?” I said.

“Is it going to make all the pain and tears worth it…cause if not then just stop…” I said.

I could tell by his silence that whatever he was saying, however he felt…it didn’t matter…

“Lainey…its not that…I just…-“ he began to say before I interrupted him.

“Just stop! It was stupid to think you grew up…you're still that stupid teen age boy who played so many girls…” I said looking down.

“I did grow up Lainey, and that’s why I’m doing this…” he said but I just shook my head.

“You’ve been playing games with me ever since you got here…meanwhile you're going out and sleeping with girls while I’m right across the hall…” I said as tears filled me eyes.

“That wasn’t what it looked like…” he said but again I shook my head.

“I promised myself when I was younger that I never would be like those girls that would cry over you…but here I am. Honestly I don’t blame you for doing what you do best…I blame myself…” I said.

“Lainey just please listen…” he said.

“No I don’t want to hear it anymore, it doesn’t matter! Nothing matters! And I’m fine with that…but I just need you to let me be fine with it…” I said as I took a deep breath.

“Just let me be with Rob, and you can do whatever you want…we can forget everything that happened…” I said as I looked at him.

“Lainey…” he said as took hold of my hand but I just pulled away.

“You should go…” I said and he just nodded.

He looked like he was going to say more, but he didn’t. He just got up and left the room.

I stayed in my bed the rest of the night crying…

Accepting the fact that this was the end….

**Spencer’s POV**

I left Lainey’s room with a broken heart…

I cared so much about her but it didn’t matter… it would never change anything she would always be my best friends little sister, and I was still her teacher.