Chapter 8

I woke up feeling angry at Spencer, but I tried reminding myself that it didn’t matter what he did. It was his life and if he wanted to go out with slutty teachers, then good for him.

But in the back of my mind I couldn’t help but feel hurt at the thought.

It was raining out and I didn’t feel like going to school, but I knew I had to because my mother was coming home today and I really didn’t want to hear a lecture.

So I finally pushed myself to get out of my bed and take a nice hot warm shower, the whole time thought of Spencer consumed me.

After I got dress and dried my hair I was really hoping that Spencer left for school, and when I got downstairs I was glad to see that he did.

After I ate my bowl of cereal I went outside when I heard Jakes horn.

***

“Hey girly!” I hear Rose scream.

“Hey where have you been?” I asked.

“No hun, the real question is where have you been…” she asked as I got my books out of my locker.

“Around.” I said.

“Well today after school you, me and a whole lot of homecoming dresses?” she asked.

“Sounds good I’ll meet you outside after school.” I said, and then she blew me a kiss and went down the hall.

“So I’m guessing I won’t be taking you home after school?” I heard Jake ask me from behind.

“Nope, I gots ta get me a dress.” I said in an accent that made Jake smile.

“Alright get me a matching tie while you’re at it.”

“But of course.” I said as the bell rang.

“Ugh I’d rather swim across a shark infested lake then go to trig right now.” I said.

“Don’t worry you’ll be fine.” He said and then kissed my forehead.

When I got to Spencer’s class I took my usual seat next to Rob as the late bell rang and Spencer walked through the door.

I looked everywhere but at him.

I took out my notebook and just wrote the notes on the board doing my best not to look at his eyes. As I was doing the problem on the board I could feel his eyes burning a hole through me, but I wasn’t going to let that get to me I just continued with my work until the bell rang.

I would have made it the whole period without talking or looking at him if he didn’t ask me to stay after class.

“Yeah?” I asked after the rest of the students left.

“Don’t forget about our tutoring session after school.” He said with slight coldness. I totally forgot about that, I was going to have to take a rain check on dress shopping with Rosie.

“Alright.” I said and then began to walk out of the class.

I told Rose that we were going to have to reschedule our shopping date, and she was fine with it.

“Jake, change of plans I need a ride home.” I said as I saw him in the hallway.

“Lainey I can’t I told the guys that I would take them to the pool hall after school.” He said.

“Great, I’ll walk.” I said.

“No you won’t, why don’t you just ask Mr. King to take you home?”